Forum: Inkscape draw a path consisting of straight lines and arcs

528941e2bdf540112e4544f842a8cc1c?d=identicon&s=25 Daniel Barna (Guest)
Hello,

I want to draw a path which consist of straight and arc segments (the
arcs
are tangential to the straight segments). Is this doable in an easy way?

Or another approach: is it possible to give fillets to selected corners
of
a path consisting of straight segments? (I am afraid the answer is no,
but
who knows?)

Thank you
Daniel
F812b5469f097cef62a67a629c465962?d=identicon&s=25 Arlo Barnes (arlo_b)
On Wed, Apr 9, 2014 at 8:08 AM, Daniel Barna <daniel.barna@cern.ch>
wrote:

> I want to draw a path which consist of straight and arc segments (the arcs
> are tangential to the straight segments).

You mean like
this<https://plus.google.com/u/0/_/focus/photos/public/...?
;P

Is it possible to give fillets to selected corners of a path consisting
of
> straight segments?

I am afraid the answer is no, but who knows?

I would also like to know if there is an automated way to do this; it
would
seem straightforward for an extension to handle, for example. I have
been
doing it a manual way:

make a circle of the radius you want the fillet to be. Put it in the
'corner' of the join of the segments, positioned as precisely as you
can.
Draw a line between the points where the circle seems tangential, and
select it and the segments and 'cut path'. You can now delete the pointy
intersection of the segments you just cut off. Then select the circle
and
switch to the circle tool, and change the start and end degree so that
the
ends of the arc are as close to the newly-made endpoints of the segment
as
possible, then "convert object [the arc] to path", then use the node
tool
to merge on each side the nodes of the [now] Bezier and of the segments.

-Arlo James Barnes
95dbaa3264461c61e0c9510ce9f363a4?d=identicon&s=25 John Cliff (Guest)
A feature request for this and fillets was one of the first things I put
in
the tracker. That was 2005...

https://bugs.launchpad.net/inkscape/+bug/170149
Existing account