Forum: Ruby-Gnome 2 A crash with latest ruby/ruby-gnome

3853dd5371ac1e094fc45d6c2aa0e459?d=identicon&s=25 Carlo E. Prelz (Guest)
Dear Kou and other readers,

today, after updating another machine to latest Ruby/Ruby-gnome, I
found that I received a crash with (I believe) every signal being
processed. I attach a simple test program which, on my machine,
triggers a crash when the 'test' button is pressed. If the
btn.signal_connect call is commented out, no crash happens.

I attach the output of the crash. As you can see, it is triggered by
Ruby, from thread.c, function rb_thread_call_with_gvl. It appears that
it has been "called by a thread which has GVL", because the 'blocking
region buffer' is null. For me, these are unknown waters.

Experimentally I tried to comment out the rb_bug line in
rb_thread_call_with_gvl. The app does not crash, but becomes
non-responsive.

Does this tell you anything?

Carlo

In <20140321090208.GA24169@fluido.as>
  "[ruby-gnome2-devel-en] A crash with latest ruby/ruby-gnome" on Fri,
21 Mar 2014 10:02:08 +0100,
  "Carlo E. Prelz" <fluido@fluido.as> wrote:

> Experimentally I tried to comment out the rb_bug line in
> rb_thread_call_with_gvl. The app does not crash, but becomes
> non-responsive.

Thanks for your report!
The attached sample program was very helpful.

I've fixed it but there is interrupt isn't handled
problem. I'll fix it later.

# If we change to rb_thread_call_without_gvl() from
# rb_thread_call_without_gvl2(), it is solved. But we should
# consider about the solution is valid solution.

kou
3853dd5371ac1e094fc45d6c2aa0e459?d=identicon&s=25 Carlo E. Prelz (Guest)

Quoting Kouhei Sutou (kou@cozmixng.org):

> I've fixed it but there is interrupt isn't handled
> problem. I'll fix it later.

Indeed: the program I am developing runs again, but does not stop with
Ctrl-C.

This stuff must be quite hairy...

Thanks again!

Carlo

--
  *         Se la Strada e la sua Virtu' non fossero state messe da
parte,

In <20140321102549.GB24169@fluido.as>
  "Re: [ruby-gnome2-devel-en] A crash with latest ruby/ruby-gnome" on
Fri, 21 Mar 2014 11:25:49 +0100,
  "Carlo E. Prelz" <fluido@fluido.as> wrote:

>   Subject: Re: [ruby-gnome2-devel-en] A crash with latest ruby/ruby-gnome
>   Date: ven 21 mar 14 07:11:58 +0900
>
> Quoting Kouhei Sutou (kou@cozmixng.org):
>
>> I've fixed it but there is interrupt isn't handled
>> problem. I'll fix it later.
>
> Indeed: the program I am developing runs again, but does not stop with
> Ctrl-C.

Ctrl-C works again! :-)

kou
3853dd5371ac1e094fc45d6c2aa0e459?d=identicon&s=25 Carlo E. Prelz (Guest)
Subject: Re: [ruby-gnome2-devel-en] A crash with latest ruby/ruby-gnome
  Date: ven 21 mar 14 09:23:40 +0900

Quoting Kouhei Sutou (kou@cozmixng.org):

> Ctrl-C works again! :-)

Don't take it personally 8-) but it only works when only the main
window is open. If I have another modal window open, it still does not
work.

(this does not cause such a problem to me...)

Since you showed appreciation for my little test program, here is
another one. Press the button, and another window appears. At that
point, Ctrl_C still does not work. Or rather, the interrupt is
processed only when the new window's button is pressed.

Carlo

In <20140321124035.GC24169@fluido.as>
  "Re: [ruby-gnome2-devel-en] A crash with latest ruby/ruby-gnome" on
Fri, 21 Mar 2014 13:40:35 +0100,
  "Carlo E. Prelz" <fluido@fluido.as> wrote:

> point, Ctrl_C still does not work. Or rather, the interrupt is
> processed only when the new window's button is pressed.

Oh...
The new test program also works well now. :-)

kou