Forum: Ruby on Rails How to install Node.js?

1eb28f3c91b0a7b8bfb1a72cfa8befaa?d=identicon&s=25 Jaimin Pandya (jaimin)
on 2014-03-19 18:57
I am completely new for node.js. By reading tutorials I downloaded
"node-v0.10.26".

But I don't know how to install it on ubuntu12.04?

Kind regards.
15eb13d662803f57bc4aea59704988b4?d=identicon&s=25 Scott Ribe (Guest)
on 2014-03-19 19:01
(Received via mailing list)
On Mar 19, 2014, at 11:57 AM, Jaimin Pandya <lists@ruby-forum.com>
wrote:

> I am completely new for node.js. By reading tutorials I downloaded
> "node-v0.10.26".
>
> But I don't know how to install it on ubuntu12.04?

Perhaps look for a node.js mailing list???

--
Scott Ribe
scott_ribe@elevated-dev.com
http://www.elevated-dev.com/
(303) 722-0567 voice
A81cb0deac46dfed83ee7bd704477128?d=identicon&s=25 Leo Wong (Guest)
on 2014-03-19 19:04
(Received via mailing list)
Anyway, you can find the instructions here:

https://github.com/joyent/node/wiki/Installing-Nod...
A47e0a6beeb9d048ff054fc1c3a97418?d=identicon&s=25 Walter Davis (walterdavis)
on 2014-03-19 19:42
(Received via mailing list)
I've gotten bitten by the name, too. Look for a package called nodejs,
not node.

Walter
C4b2cb6c227b8d8f5955d053ed789227?d=identicon&s=25 Orlando Hernandez (Guest)
on 2014-03-19 19:56
(Received via mailing list)
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:chris-lea/node.js
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install nodejs
:)
2014-03-19 13:40 GMT-05:00 Walter Lee Davis <waltd@wdstudio.com>:
F50d3b02eee623a2172b58c09fe31c2c?d=identicon&s=25 mike2r (Guest)
on 2014-03-19 20:05
(Received via mailing list)
On Wednesday, March 19, 2014 2:54:43 PM UTC-4, Orlando Hernandez wrote:
>>
>> >> But I don't know how to install it on ubuntu12.04?
>> >
>> .
>>
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/rubyonrails-talk...
>> .
>> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
>>
>
>
I would recommend you add chris-lea/node.js to your repository list
before
using apt-get.  The version of node.js they keep in the standard
repository
tends to be old.  It's the same issue with Rails.  The link that gnowoel
posted gives pretty good instructions.

Mike
F50d3b02eee623a2172b58c09fe31c2c?d=identicon&s=25 mike2r (Guest)
on 2014-03-19 20:21
(Received via mailing list)
On Wednesday, March 19, 2014 2:54:43 PM UTC-4, Orlando Hernandez wrote:
>>
>> >> But I don't know how to install it on ubuntu12.04?
>> >
>> .
>>
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/rubyonrails-talk...
>> .
>> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
>>
>
>
I would make sure you add chris-lea/node.js to your repository as
Orlando
has in his response.  The node.js they have in the standard repository
is
usually old (the same issue as rails).  You will also need a few other
things installed such as python.  The link gnowoel provides above has it
pretty well documented.
Af8f675b324932851700efcd7d497631?d=identicon&s=25 Phil Dobbin (phildobbin)
on 2014-03-20 10:13
(Received via mailing list)
On 19/03/2014 17:57, Jaimin Pandya wrote:

> I am completely new for node.js. By reading tutorials I downloaded
> "node-v0.10.26".
>
> But I don't know how to install it on ubuntu12.04?

cd into the directory where you downloaded node then untar it.

Now run './configure' (without the quotes), then 'make', then 'sudo make
install' which will install it into /usr/local.

You'll need to install 'build-essential' before you compile it:

'sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install build-essential'

Cheers,

  Phil...

--
currently (ab)using
CentOS 6.5, Debian Squeeze & Wheezy, Fedora 19 & 20, OS X Snow Leopard,
RHEL 7, Ubuntu Precise & Saucy
GnuGPG Key : http://phildobbin.org/publickey.asc
Based in London, UK
1eb28f3c91b0a7b8bfb1a72cfa8befaa?d=identicon&s=25 Jaimin Pandya (jaimin)
on 2014-03-20 16:48
Phil Dobbin wrote in post #1140440:
> On 19/03/2014 17:57, Jaimin Pandya wrote:
>
>> I am completely new for node.js. By reading tutorials I downloaded
>> "node-v0.10.26".
>>
>> But I don't know how to install it on ubuntu12.04?
>
> cd into the directory where you downloaded node then untar it.
>
> Now run './configure' (without the quotes), then 'make', then 'sudo make
> install' which will install it into /usr/local.
>
> You'll need to install 'build-essential' before you compile it:
>
> 'sudo apt-get update
> sudo apt-get install build-essential'
>

I have done installation of node.js successfully.

Thank you very much
Please log in before posting. Registration is free and takes only a minute.
Existing account

NEW: Do you have a Google/GoogleMail, Yahoo or Facebook account? No registration required!
Log in with Google account | Log in with Yahoo account | Log in with Facebook account
No account? Register here.