Forum: Ruby on Rails Is there a Tutorial for Installing Ruby, Rails, and FCGI via

B614e42d18c609ac4585d0aa0b13d856?d=identicon&s=25 rails (Guest)
Hey guys,

Is there a Tutorial for Installing Ruby, Rails, and FCGI on a linux
box running apache remotely with SSH?  I'm trying to get a VDS on
GoDaddy to support rails.  Any help would be very much appreciated.

- Jim
Ff9e18f0699bf079f1fc91c8d4506438?d=identicon&s=25 james.britt (Guest)
Jim Jeffers wrote:
> Hey guys,
>
> Is there a Tutorial for Installing Ruby, Rails, and FCGI on a linux  box
> running apache remotely with SSH?  I'm trying to get a VDS on  GoDaddy
> to support rails.  Any help would be very much appreciated.

Do you have ftp access to get stuff up to the server?

Are you root?

There are a few tutorials around that explain, to varying degrees, how
to get Apache playing nice with FCGI and Rails.

Off the top of my head, some possible stumbling blocks:

* You need to compile code, and there is no compiler.

* You need to compile code, but you do not have sufficient permissions.

* You need to compile code that needs Apache devel files, and they are
not available.

BTW, if the FCGI route doesn't pan out, consider Zed's SCGI Rails
script.

(I've managed fcgi with apache 1.3, but not with apache2.  I've run
Rails apps with Apache2 + SCGI, but I'm, increasingly inclined towards
lighttp + fastcgi.)

James Britt

132a94ca65959bda6c74fae54bff2425?d=identicon&s=25 ezra (Guest)
On Dec 8, 2005, at 4:03 PM, Jim Jeffers wrote:

> Hey guys,
>
> Is there a Tutorial for Installing Ruby, Rails, and FCGI on a linux
> box running apache remotely with SSH?  I'm trying to get a VDS on
> GoDaddy to support rails.  Any help would be very much appreciated.
>
> - Jim

Hey Jim-

	By VDS do you mean a virtual dedicated server that you have root
access on? If so I highly recommend using lighttpd/fcgi instead of
apache. IF this is the case send me a note off the list and I can get
you some good instructions for getting all this stuff set up.

-Ezra Zygmuntowicz
WebMaster
Yakima Herald-Republic Newspaper
ezra@yakima-herald.com
509-577-7732
B614e42d18c609ac4585d0aa0b13d856?d=identicon&s=25 rails (Guest)
Yes Ezra that is the case but the VDS is running PLESK and my client
has two other sites running off of that via apache I'm assuming?
Will lighttpd be able to run along side that?

- Jim
B614e42d18c609ac4585d0aa0b13d856?d=identicon&s=25 rails (Guest)
Hey James!

I'm currently facing stumbling block number two which is that I do
not have sufficient permissions even when I login as root.  I've
emailed technical support at GoDaddy about this and they emailed me
back alerting me that I should in fact have permissions but cannot
tell me anything about the problem because the client is using their
most basic VDS plan which is not managed. lol.

I'm sure I'll get to the bottom of this eventually.  If you have any
links to some tutorials I'm definitely open to them.

- Jim
On Dec 9, 2005, at 11:53 PM, Jim Jeffers wrote:

> Yes Ezra that is the case but the VDS is running PLESK and my
> client has two other sites running off of that via apache I'm
> assuming?  Will lighttpd be able to run along side that?
>
> - Jim

Jim-

	Here are some sample vhosts for proxying a lighttpd server behind an
apache server. You must make sure you can really get root on the box
though. Godaddy is a crappy host so I wouldn't expect any help from
them.

http://brainspl.at/articles/2005/11/08/apache-vhos...
lighttpd-on-a-higher-port

	But you might also want to looking into mod_fcgi for apache as that
might be easier in your situation. Can you try to find out what linux
distro the server is running too? That will help with how the setup
goes.

Cheers-
-Ezra Zygmuntowicz
WebMaster
Yakima Herald-Republic Newspaper
ezra@yakima-herald.com
509-577-7732
B614e42d18c609ac4585d0aa0b13d856?d=identicon&s=25 Jim Jeffers (Guest)
Hi Guys,

I got an error trying to install Ruby Gems on my Virtual Dedicated
server.  It looks like zlib is not installed:

/usr/local/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:
18:in `require__': No such file to load -- zlib (LoadError)
         from /usr/local/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/
custom_require.rb:18:in `require'
         from /usr/local/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/
package.rb:9

The server is running on Red Hat 9.  I've followed these instructions
to install zlib 1.2.3

This is the line causing the error in package.rb
require 'zlib'

I've followed these directions to install zlib:
http://archive.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs-museum/5.1...
PRE1-HTML/chapter06/zlib.html

Also, I've been using these directions to install ruby and gems..
Ruby installed successfully.. however gems is choking due to the zlib
issue.

http://xmlareas.com/ruby-rails-howto.html

I ran into this. Installing zlib devel files before building ruby
solved the problem. I had to do this for readline, as well, since
readline devel packages weren't in by default. This was on a debian
system, so it was something like apt-get install readline-devel
zlib-devel before building ruby (from source, of course). I'm sure
there's an analog in redhat if you google.

The key is that the ruby ./configure script needs to run *after* zlib
can be detected by it or ruby won't support it.

Brian

On 12/15/05, Jim Jeffers <rails@donttrustthisguy.com> wrote:
>         from
>

> On Dec 9, 2005, at 11:53 PM, Jim Jeffers wrote:
>
> Cheers-

The years ahead pick up their dark bags.
They move closer. There's a slight rise in the silence

then nothing.
--
(If you're receiving this in response to mail sent to
bluczkie@andrew.cmu.edu, don't be concerned This is my new address,

First FCGI:

This is the error I get:

ruby extconf.rb install fcgi -r -- -with-fcgi-lib=/usr/local/fcgi/lib
--with-fcgi-include=/usr/local/fcgi/include\nchecking for
fcgiapp.h... yes
checking for FCGX_Accept() in -lfcgi... no

As you can see it's finding the header file 'fcgiapp.h' but I have no
idea what this means: "FCGX_Accept() in -lfcgi... no"

Second with MySQL:

Here is the error I'm getting..

"which mysql" returns "usr/bin/mysql"

If I install as:
gem install mysql -- --with-mysql-dir=/usr/bin/mysql

I get the following error:
ruby extconf.rb install mysql -- --with-mysql-dir=/usr/bin/mysql
checking for mysql_query() in -lmysqlclient... no

Anyone have any idea what I'm doing wrong here?

Hey guys,
I resolved the fcgi issue by adding another '-' in front of the with-
fcgi-lib requirement.

gem install fcgi -r -- --with-fcgi-lib=/usr/local/fcgi/lib --with-
fcgi-include=/usr/local/fcgi/include

I'm still working on the mysql gem though.

> "which mysql" returns "usr/bin/mysql"
>
> If I install as:
> gem install mysql -- --with-mysql-dir=/usr/bin/mysql
>
> I get the following error:
> ruby extconf.rb install mysql -- --with-mysql-dir=/usr/bin/mysql

That's a binary, not a directory - try dir=/usr

It should be the directory that has subdirectories lib/ and include/
(holding the mysql shared libs and header files respectively).

http://number9.hellooperator.net/