Forum: Ruby Package Manager in Ruby - How many are there? Would you want and use one?

I have very recently been able to switch to ruby 2.1.1 finally.

This was made possible by tenderlove because he actually released a syck
gem, which works for me finy - I can continue working with my invalid
yaml files (my whole system setting is in yaml file; ruby autogenerates
whatever other format I need from these yaml files; switching yaml to
valid UTF* was no option for me, so I was stuck). I also use yaml files
with comments, but now all is fine because I can autogenerated valid
yaml files from that.

Anyway, what a lengthy introduction!

My question is, since I feel ambitious and motivated right now:

(1) How many package managers are there in ruby?

I only know of machomebrew. Any other package manager?

(2) Would you want and use a package manager in ruby if there would be
one actually?

I dont like that machomebrew is predominantly mac. I think a package
manager should be agnostic of the underlying OS (and, actually, not tied
to any programming language either; but that is of course wishful
thinking).

I am wondering if there would be sufficient resources to create one or
help polish existing ones to levels that are satisfiable and useful for
people to use on a daily base. Perhaps not just a package manager alone
but also a system manager and a set of tools that aids in installing and
compiling altogther.
Abdb670e1c130f96f947a94d03c02efa?d=identicon&s=25 Eric Christopherson (echristopherson)
On Sun, Mar 16, 2014 at 3:03 PM, Marc Heiler <lists@ruby-forum.com>
wrote:

> (1) How many package managers are there in ruby?
>
> I only know of machomebrew. Any other package manager?

Nitrous.io's package manager, autoparts, uses it too. I don't know if
it's
used outside of Nitrous.

> (2) Would you want and use a package manager in ruby if there would be
> one actually?

I would, but it would depend on how usable the PM actually is. I don't
like
the feature set of Homebrew quite as well as dpkg/apt-get, but it is
pretty
usable; but the fact that its core and formulas are written in Ruby has
in
fact led me to look at its source and make tweaks here and there, which
probably wouldn't do with a C-based one like dpkg or a Tcl-based one
like
MacPorts.

> I dont like that machomebrew is predominantly mac. I think a package
> manager should be agnostic of the underlying OS (and, actually, not tied
> to any programming language either; but that is of course wishful
> thinking).

I've had that thought myself, but I'm not sure how it would work.
F0987c97234fa9c6b26f796bdbdab037?d=identicon&s=25 Andrew Vit (Guest)
On 14-03-16, 13:03, Marc Heiler wrote:
> yaml files from that.
> one actually?
> compiling altogther.
You should check out chef:

http://www.getchef.com/

It's not exactly a package manager, but it's designed for server
installation & configuration (it's like a meta-package-manager), and it
can be used locally too. If you're looking for something that's
system-agnostic, they have this pretty well figured out.

It's quite flexible and modular but someone still has to write those
install cookbooks to handle the requirements of different systems.

Andrew Vit
Eric Christopherson wrote in post #1140084:
>> (2) Would you want and use a package manager in ruby if there would be
>> one actually?
>>

> I would, but it would depend on how usable the PM actually is. I don't
> like
> the feature set of Homebrew quite as well as dpkg/apt-get

They are very different.

- homebrew builds everything from source and installs it directly on the
building system
- apt-get retrieves pre-built binary packages from a respository and
installs them with dpkg

Of course, .deb binary packages have to be built from source too, and
there's a whole set of tools for that. But homebrew doesn't have any
equivalent of a binary package.

If you want something that installs directly from source on the target
machine *and* can do binary packages - and is also multi-platform - look
at pkgsrc: http://www.netbsd.org/docs/software/packages.html
But that's not written in Ruby.
Existing account

No account? Register here.