From: “Jamie M.” [email protected]
To: [email protected]
Sent: Thursday, December 08, 2005 4:27 PM
Subject: Re: [Rails] how do I validate a numeric field?

Frank wrote:

I have a quanity field in my form that should have a length of no more than 3.

I tried validate_length_of :qty, :maximum => 3

and this fails

Numbers don’t have a length. Just because a numeric value is 1001
doesn’t mean the variable has a “length” of 4.

What you probably want to use is:

validates_inclusion_of :qty, :in => 0…999

-Brian

I’m guessing, but is “length” meant for strings and it should be
something like validate_with_precision? something like that.

bruce

Jamie M. wrote:

try this:

validate_format_of :qty, /[1-9][\d]{0,2}/

Just so we’re clear, the method is correctly named,
“validates_format_of”, not “validate_format_of”. At least, that’s what
my PDF copy of AWDwR says. But I wouldn’t use validates_format_of to
check for a number within a certain range of values. That’s what
validates_inclusion_of is for…

-Brian

Sorry, validates_format_of (with an S). I like Brian’s answer better
though.

Thanks,

This worked:

validates_inclusion_of :QTY1, :in => 0…999, :message => “must be
between 0
and 999”

Frank