Forum: NGINX re: When to new directives from mainline trickle down to stable?

8a32e2b76241fce44d604cda3e0780c8?d=identicon&s=25 Sarah Novotny (Guest)
Hi John,

> On Thu, Mar 13, 2014 at 3:34 PM, John Reeve <jreeve@myintervals.com> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> We are currently using the stable release of nginx. We'd really like to
implement the sticky directive that was added to the HTTP Upstream Module in the
mainline release in 1.5.7
(http://nginx.org/en/docs/http/ngx_http_upstream_mo...)

> My question is this how long does it take for a new directive like this to
appear in stable? 1.5.7 was released in Nov 2013. I'm wondering if we should
move
to mainline in our production environment, or wait patiently for sticky to
become
part of stable.

> I've scoured the FAQs and docs but can't find any info on when features trickle
down to stable. Any insight you can provide will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Our stable releases are cut annually midyear.  So, 1.5.X will become 1.6
in
a few months.

However, there is a further complexity in that some of the features in
the
1.5.X line are only available in our commercial release of NGINX Plus.
Sticky is one of those directives.  I'm sorry that's not more clear in
the
documentation.  We're working to update the visuals and information
layout
in our documentation to make that easier to parse at a glance.

If you have further questions about the commercial release, we'd be
happy
to help but I'd ask you contact me off the FOSS list and I'll connect
you
to the right person.

Sarah
27110abd243d4fd7d3de8fec00e47a18?d=identicon&s=25 John Reeve (Guest)
Sarah (and Aaron),

Thank you the clarification. At this point we'll have to revisit our
options for session persistance and load balancing. If we have any
questions about nginx I'll reach out to you.

thanks!

John
Existing account

No account? Register here.