Forum: Ruby on Rails FCGI / lighttpd Hosts

27f8beb57f4d56d328749b51ac886d2c?d=identicon&s=25 kianwright (Guest)
Can anyone recommend a good host that runs FCGI or lighttpd reliably?

We're with a (shared) host now that just runs Rails in regular CGI mode,
and we're killing the
server with the Rails startup time for each request. Our load really
isn't that bad, except for
the startup cost. Unfortunately the host can't do FCGI in a shared
environment.

Do any hosts do FCGI in a shared environment, or do we have to get a
dedicated server (or run
under a VM)?

Thanks.
8e44c65ac5b896da534ef2440121c953?d=identicon&s=25 ezra (Guest)
On Dec 8, 2005, at 11:55 AM, Kian Wright wrote:

> a dedicated server (or run
> under a VM)?
>
> Thanks.

Kian-

	I have had very good luck with running rails on a VPS with
rimuhosting.com . I have written a few articles about this here:

http://brainspl.at/articles/2005/11/11/rails-vps-servers-at-
rimuhosting-com

	And here is a tutorial I wrote for setting up a nice debian lighttpd/
fcgi server in a VPS or dedicated environamen:

http://brainspl.at/rails_stack.html

	Hope those help you out some.

Cheers-

-Ezra Zygmuntowicz
Yakima Herald-Republic
WebMaster
http://yakimaherald.com
509-577-7732
ezra@yakima-herald.com
3dd4b52a0946bd698b1d1635a46ea3a3?d=identicon&s=25 francois.beausoleil (Guest)
Hi !

2005/12/8, Ezra Zygmuntowicz <ezra@yakimaherald.com>:
>         And here is a tutorial I wrote for setting up a nice debian lighttpd/
> fcgi server in a VPS or dedicated environamen:
>
> http://brainspl.at/rails_stack.html

Just want to chime in that I've followed those steps, and everything
worked out fine immediately.

Thanks Ezra for the great HOWTO.

Bye !