Forum: JRuby Desperate to rebuild DLLs!

27a9bc4f8b6268a797e79c6c73ed59d5?d=identicon&s=25 Richard S. (secristr)
on 2014-03-05 01:06
How does one recompile the Windows DLLs from source?  "mvn" doesn't do
it, nor can I conjure a rake command.  There is no corresponding C++
source, the string ".dll" doesn't seem to appear in makefiles, pom.xmls,
etc.  I am desperate to get this done for a project and would appreciate
any pointers!  The files are:

~\bin\jruby.dll
~\lib\jni\i386-Windows\\jffi-1.2.dll
~\lib\jni\x86_64-Windows\jffi-1.2.dll
~\maven\jruby-stdlib\target\classes\META-INF\jruby.home\bin\jruby.dll
~\spec\ruby\fixtures\code\load_fixture.dll
~\spec\ruby\fixtures\code\load_fixture.ext.dll

Thanks!
rcs
B05d3cbc64b0031a24c2887fb6ddc173?d=identicon&s=25 christian (Guest)
just some pointers (no windows knowledge on my side):

~\lib\jni\i386-Windows\\jffi-1.2.dll
~\lib\jni\x86_64-Windows\jffi-1.2.dll

are coming from that project
https://github.com/jnr/jffi
and are extracted at the above location during the jruby build

~\maven\jruby-stdlib\target\classes\META-INF\jruby.home\bin\jruby.dll
that is a build file as which gets copied during the build from
~\bin\jruby.dll

- christian
27a9bc4f8b6268a797e79c6c73ed59d5?d=identicon&s=25 Richard S. (secristr)
on 2014-03-05 17:47
Thanks again Christian, this was also very helpful!

Now if I could just figure out how to build the jruby.dll from scratch
instead of just copying the file I could get back to doing the work.

Regards,
rcs

christian wrote in post #1138849:
> just some pointers (no windows knowledge on my side):
>
> ~\lib\jni\i386-Windows\\jffi-1.2.dll
> ~\lib\jni\x86_64-Windows\jffi-1.2.dll
>
> are coming from that project
> https://github.com/jnr/jffi
> and are extracted at the above location during the jruby build
>
> ~\maven\jruby-stdlib\target\classes\META-INF\jruby.home\bin\jruby.dll
> that is a build file as which gets copied during the build from
> ~\bin\jruby.dll
>
> - christian
13313ac2ec7ba7c43b1b952db034ff3b?d=identicon&s=25 Thomas E Enebo (Guest)
jruby.exe and jruby.dll come from:

https://github.com/jruby/jruby-launcher

I have built this in the past but I always have play with the build
scripts
to get it to build...

-Tom
27a9bc4f8b6268a797e79c6c73ed59d5?d=identicon&s=25 Richard S. (secristr)
on 2014-03-07 01:46
Thanks Tom.  What is the best way to build the jruby-launcher
standalone?  Nothing I do seems to generate jruby.dll.  Would it be
worth trying to set up a Netbeans environment instead?  I am also
concerned my MinGW setup is slightly off (everything runs, I can rebuild
jruby.exe that works, but nothing generates jruby.dll).

Regards,
rcs

Thomas E Enebo wrote in post #1138925:
> jruby.exe and jruby.dll come from:
>
> https://github.com/jruby/jruby-launcher
>
> I have built this in the past but I always have play with the build
> scripts
> to get it to build...
>
> -Tom
27a9bc4f8b6268a797e79c6c73ed59d5?d=identicon&s=25 Richard S. (secristr)
on 2014-03-10 02:59
Thanks, Tom.  Once I quit trying to make maven do my bidding and focus
on just jruby-launcher I got it built.

In short, from a MinGW MSYS.BAT shell using ruby-launcher 1.0.19 simply
(1) comment out the redundant definition in jruby.cpp that throws a
compile error and (2) comment out the unused variable in utilsfuncs.cpp
that throws a warning, and then say "make" and voila -- everything
builds fine, and seems to work fine with JRuby 1.7.11.

I still need to look into appropriate tests and the bug submission
protocol, but that is all it took.

As Christian noted, the other DLLs are from other projects.  Since the
other DLLs don't concern my immediate task, I will ignore those for the
moment.

Regards,
rcs

Thomas E Enebo wrote in post #1138925:
> jruby.exe and jruby.dll come from:
>
> https://github.com/jruby/jruby-launcher
>
> I have built this in the past but I always have play with the build
> scripts
> to get it to build...
>
> -Tom
13313ac2ec7ba7c43b1b952db034ff3b?d=identicon&s=25 Thomas E Enebo (Guest)
Yeah sorry this has been rough.  We have not for quite a while had a
regular committer who is using Windows and as a result things like
Makefiles seem to break over time...

-Tom
Existing account

No account? Register here.