Forum: Inkscape Inkscape joins the Open Invention Network

979333bd98940bb1d40aefb1820fcfa9?d=identicon&s=25 Bryce Harrington (Guest)
Inkscape has been invited to join as a member of the Open Invention
Network.  On Tuesday, the Inkscape Board voted in favor.  In so doing we
pledge to never use patents aggressively against the Linux System.  We
would never do this of course so the step is merely symbolic, but an
important symbol.

We are joining almost 750 projects and companies from the software
industry (see http://www.openinventionnetwork.com/licensees.php) in a
pledge that covers over 2,100 Open Source packages.  This helps to
reduce risk on the core Linux System and other middleware technologies.

Valer Mischenko of OIN sums it up: "This is the largest community to
address software patent challenges in the world. The idea is: when
everybody pledges freedom, there will be no wars."

For more information, please read on, or go to openinventionnetwork.com

Bryce

Subject: Re: [Inkscape-board] [REFERENDUM] Should Inkscape Join the Open
Invention Network?

Resolved:

  The Inkscape Project agrees to join as a member of the Open Invention
  Network.  In so doing we pledge to never use patents aggressively
  against the Linux System.

Votes:

    Five votes in favor, none against.  Motion passes.

    Josh Andler         a
    Johan Engelen       a
    Bryce Harrington    a
    Jon Cruz            a
    Tavmjong Bah        a

    (Votes not received from Ted Gould and Mental Guy)

    http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?threa...
979333bd98940bb1d40aefb1820fcfa9?d=identicon&s=25 Bryce Harrington (Guest)
On Fri, Feb 28, 2014 at 05:41:02PM -0300, Vincius dos Santos Oliveira
wrote:
> Em Qua, 2014-02-26 s 18:18 -0800, Bryce Harrington escreveu:
>
> > Inkscape has been invited to join as a member of the Open Invention
> > Network.
>

> This is important news. Why isn't posted on the inkscape.org[1] site?

It will, be patient...  I already have a blurb written for it, but I
just posted about the book campaign, and I didn't want to bump the GSoC
news item off the main page too quickly.

Perhaps we could make the GSoC item sticky (maybe it could replace the
"Developers" block for a few weeks?)

Bryce
7f6f9e75239bfcc5bfb41014e9dc9a26?d=identicon&s=25 Martin Owens (Guest)
On Fri, 2014-02-28 at 13:52 -0800, Bryce Harrington wrote:
> Perhaps we could make the GSoC item sticky (maybe it could replace the
> "Developers" block for a few weeks?)

The news system itself is not complex and doesn't support bumping,
stickiness or categorization itself. But the items are editable in all
their detail from the django admin interface.

I thought you may be able to stick the news item to the top by bumping
the publishing date, but that just makes it disappear until that time.
Let me know if you want the news plugin hacked to have a new sticky
feature.

Martin,
Existing account

No account? Register here.