Forum: Ruby Must read books for programmers?

3e2369e6d4d75db1a61facc7d51bd5e0?d=identicon&s=25 Morten Its (itsmortenz)
on 2014-02-24 16:53
What's your must read books for learning Ruby? I come from a Java
background, so I understand OOP and MVC.
My goal is to learn web development, probably starting with Sinatra and
moving over to Rails later.
I am currently reading the Pick Axe (Programming Ruby), but would still
like to hear other suggestions.
677f7fdb87ded28ed533d8fd14b28a82?d=identicon&s=25 Gregg Horton (Guest)
I really like the well mannered rubyist
3e2369e6d4d75db1a61facc7d51bd5e0?d=identicon&s=25 Morten Its (itsmortenz)
on 2014-02-24 17:05
Is that another way to say The Well-Grounded Rubyist or is it another
book?
7223c62b7310e164eb79c740188abbda?d=identicon&s=25 Xavier Noria (fxn)
Given that background I recommend "The Ruby Programming Language".
Detailed
and to the point.
677f7fdb87ded28ed533d8fd14b28a82?d=identicon&s=25 Gregg Horton (Guest)
Nope its that one, it's too early for email...
3e2369e6d4d75db1a61facc7d51bd5e0?d=identicon&s=25 Morten Its (itsmortenz)
on 2014-02-24 17:38
Xavier, it's great Matz is a co-author to that book and I have looked at
it before, but isn't it getting outdated? I mean it's over 6 years old,
but looks like it covers 1.9 so maybe it's still relevant.

I am surprised it hasn't had any new edition since.
Af8f675b324932851700efcd7d497631?d=identicon&s=25 Phil Dobbin (phildobbin)
On 24/02/2014 16:38, Morten Its wrote:

> Xavier, it's great Matz is a co-author to that book and I have looked at
> it before, but isn't it getting outdated? I mean it's over 6 years old,
> but looks like it covers 1.9 so maybe it's still relevant.
>
> I am surprised it hasn't had any new edition since.

I used:

<http://www.amazon.co.uk/Programming-Ruby-1-9-2-0-P...

which is a slightly more current (it covers v2).

Recommended.

Cheers,

  Phil...
3e2369e6d4d75db1a61facc7d51bd5e0?d=identicon&s=25 Morten Its (itsmortenz)
on 2014-02-24 18:09
Phil, I am already reading through that book, currently on page 145.

It teaches the Ruby language great, small examples but I wish it had
exercises, to really be sure you actually understand. I guess you could
make up some exercises or pair it with Ruby Koans to be sure you
understand.

It's also a weird match of programming introduction and teaching Ruby. I
thought the reader knew what OOP and exception was, but I guess it's
fair to tell about it for people coming from C for example
7223c62b7310e164eb79c740188abbda?d=identicon&s=25 Xavier Noria (fxn)
On Mon, Feb 24, 2014 at 5:38 PM, Morten Its <lists@ruby-forum.com>
wrote:

Xavier, it's great Matz is a co-author to that book and I have looked at
> it before, but isn't it getting outdated? I mean it's over 6 years old,
> but looks like it covers 1.9 so maybe it's still relevant.

In my view it is still relevant, you'll get the language right quickly.
Ruby has not changed dramatically in core language features.

I am surprised it hasn't had any new edition since.

Yep, a new edition would be awesome, first in the line to purchase it
:).
Af8f675b324932851700efcd7d497631?d=identicon&s=25 Phil Dobbin (phildobbin)
On 24/02/2014 17:09, Morten Its wrote:

Fair comment. I guess its authors were trying to cover all the bases but
I agree some examples would've been nice.

I also absorbed 'The Ruby Way' by Hal Fulton which I really enjoyed but
my copy's ridiculously out of date: 2002. He may have updated it since
2003 but I recommended it regardless.

Cheers,

  Phil...
9d3d9deae2b99b87ce246b487ecc6c9b?d=identicon&s=25 Bill Felton (Guest)
On Feb 24, 2014, at 10:53 AM, Morten Its <lists@ruby-forum.com> wrote:

> What's your must read books for learning Ruby? I come from a Java
> background, so I understand OOP and MVC.
> My goal is to learn web development, probably starting with Sinatra and
> moving over to Rails later.
> I am currently reading the Pick Axe (Ruby Programming), but would still
> like to hear other suggestions.
>
> --
On Mon, Feb 24, 2014 at 10:08 AM, Bill Felton <
subscriptions@cagttraining.com> wrote:

> I have ro recommend Practical Object Oriented Design in Ruby by Sandi
> Metz.  One of the best OO design books I've ever read, and focused on Ruby.
>  A delight.

+1 on Sandi Metz's book
3e2369e6d4d75db1a61facc7d51bd5e0?d=identicon&s=25 Morten Its (itsmortenz)
on 2014-02-24 20:45
Would a book such as Metz' POODR translate as well to other languages,
such as Java, or is it design choices specific for Ruby? It does looks
interesting.
E088bb5c80fd3c4fd02c2020cdacbaf0?d=identicon&s=25 Jesús Gabriel y Galán (Guest)
On Mon, Feb 24, 2014 at 8:45 PM, Morten Its <lists@ruby-forum.com>
wrote:
> Would a book such as Metz' POODR translate as well to other languages,
> such as Java, or is it design choices specific for Ruby? It does looks
> interesting.

I cannot comment on the book specifically, but I've watched videos by
Sandi Metz (I think it was a conference or something, can't remember
the details) and I can tell you that the concepts she explains are
general enough that you can apply them to any OO language.

Jesus.
14b5582046b4e7b24ab69b7886a35868?d=identicon&s=25 Joel Pearson (virtuoso)
on 2014-03-02 20:03
One book which helped me understand how and when to use Ruby's classes
was "Design Patterns In Ruby". After learning the Ruby way of doing
things, this book was a great way to understand code uses in the real
world.
Existing account

No account? Register here.