Forum: Ruby Jim Weirich Passed Away

Stu (Guest)
https://twitter.com/dhh/status/436410949919313920

Was just watching his talk from Ruby Conf last year "Y Not Adventures in
Functional Programming"

http://www.confreaks.com/videos/1287-rubyconf2012-...

Stu
Hal Fulton (Guest)
This is very sad. It's a genuine loss to everyone who ever knew him.

He has been a valued part of this community for at least 13 years.

Hal
13d0171c6ee97074d61f182a6e3a9f4e?d=identicon&s=25 Robert K. (robert_k78)
On Thu, Feb 20, 2014 at 6:07 PM, Hal Fulton <rubyhacker@gmail.com>
wrote:
> This is very sad. It's a genuine loss to everyone who ever knew him.

It really is.

> He has been a valued part of this community for at least 13 years.

Reminds me that I have been around for almost 9 years...

Thanks for letting us know, Stu!

Sad regards

robert
Joel VanderWerf (Guest)
Sad, indeed.

Jim's first ruby-talk post is (AFAICT) this reply to one of yours, Hal:

(He did change the subject a bit.)
Avdi Grimm (Guest)
I don't really know what to say yet. I looked up to him in so many ways.
will miss his kindness and exuberance.

On Thu, Feb 20, 2014 at 2:32 PM, Joel VanderWerf
S.D (Guest)
> [guy, jim].each {|him| remember.him do |as, often| as.you_can -
> without end}

A fitting epitaph, and one that would bring a smile to Jim's face.

I was privileged to share a few drinks, a few meals and dozens of
conversations with him over the last 7 years. Subjects like Rake
(capital 'R'), open source, Ruby, the evolution of software engineering,
scotch, music, and life in general were talked about.  His openness,
and great sense of humor were always there. He will be remembered as
one of the heroes of open source, especially with the Ruby and Rails
communities.

Many of you knew him far better than I, and my heart goes out to all of
you, as together, we mourn Jim's passing. He was a great human being,
and will truly be missed by all who knew him, especially those who knew
him well.

With great sadness,

-- Steve Downie
s.d@comcast.net