Forum: Ruby-Gnome 2 Asking for sudo password, from pkgconfig?

C53e81f5d7c781c6dc3979c4ce888706?d=identicon&s=25 Grant Schoep (matobinder)
on 2014-02-19 18:44
When building ruby-gnome2, some of the packages ask/attempt to install
an  RPM if it finds something missing. It will prompt for password for
sudo to do this.

On the system I am using, I do not want it to do this, as I don't have
the libraries and don't need these.

I know I could just delete those packages before I do the build, but is
there any flag or setting I could use to disable this behavior?

If not, I think it would be helpful, possibly a flag that disables the
automatic installation of RPM, and just spit out as an error what RPMs
in thinks should be installed.

I started looking at how this was working, is this being done in the
pkgconfig gem?

In <becab6bfd6232bdd4855e867d53bcb91@ruby-forum.com>
  "[ruby-gnome2-devel-en] Asking for sudo password, from pkgconfig?" on
Wed, 19 Feb 2014 18:44:21 +0100,
  Grant Schoep <ruby-forum-incoming@andreas-s.net> wrote:

> When building ruby-gnome2, some of the packages ask/attempt to install
> an  RPM if it finds something missing. It will prompt for password for
> sudo to do this.

> I know I could just delete those packages before I do the build, but is
> there any flag or setting I could use to disable this behavior?

No. There is no flag to disable this behavior.

> If not, I think it would be helpful, possibly a flag that disables the
> automatic installation of RPM, and just spit out as an error what RPMs
> in thinks should be installed.

How way do you like? Is using environment variable good?

> I started looking at how this was working, is this being done in the
> pkgconfig gem?

No. It is implemented in Ruby-GNOME2. See the following codes:

  https://github.com/ruby-gnome2/ruby-gnome2/blob/ma...
  https://github.com/ruby-gnome2/ruby-gnome2/blob/ma...
  https://github.com/ruby-gnome2/ruby-gnome2/blob/ma...

kou
C53e81f5d7c781c6dc3979c4ce888706?d=identicon&s=25 Grant Schoep (matobinder)
on 2014-09-01 20:53
Sorry for the long delay, got side tracked with work... :>

Kouhei Sutou wrote in post #1139276:
> Hi,
>
> In <becab6bfd6232bdd4855e867d53bcb91@ruby-forum.com>
>   "[ruby-gnome2-devel-en] Asking for sudo password, from pkgconfig?" on
> Wed, 19 Feb 2014 18:44:21 +0100,
>   Grant Schoep <ruby-forum-incoming@andreas-s.net> wrote:
>
>> When building ruby-gnome2, some of the packages ask/attempt to install
>> an  RPM if it finds something missing. It will prompt for password for
>> sudo to do this.
>
>> I know I could just delete those packages before I do the build, but is
>> there any flag or setting I could use to disable this behavior?
>
> No. There is no flag to disable this behavior.
>
>> If not, I think it would be helpful, possibly a flag that disables the
>> automatic installation of RPM, and just spit out as an error what RPMs
>> in thinks should be installed.
>
> How way do you like? Is using environment variable good?

An environment variable would be great.

>> I started looking at how this was working, is this being done in the
>> pkgconfig gem?
>
> No. It is implemented in Ruby-GNOME2. See the following codes:

https://github.com/ruby-gnome2/ruby-gnome2/blob/ma...

https://github.com/ruby-gnome2/ruby-gnome2/blob/ma...

https://github.com/ruby-gnome2/ruby-gnome2/blob/ma...

> Thanks,