Forum: Ruby Ruby

0bfcd39eb1ec753fcc00f2e88bbea6bd?d=identicon&s=25 Sîrbu Nicolae-Cezar (Guest)
What can you tell me about Ruby that will completely change my vision
about
Ruby programming language?
Cezar
not a single thing. i have no idea what your vision is currently, nor
any
particular reason to want to change it.

On Tue, Jan 28, 2014 at 11:40 PM, Sîrbu Nicolae-Cezar <
A74a68807619459925cc1d8e1045c7bd?d=identicon&s=25 Tony Arcieri (Guest)
On Tue, Jan 28, 2014 at 9:40 PM, Srbu Nicolae-Cezar <
sirbunicolaecezar@gmail.com> wrote:

> What can you tell me about Ruby that will completely change my vision
> about Ruby programming language?

You can use Ruby to lure Catherine Zeta Jones into your unicorn petting
zoo, made entirely of Ruby:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ng95M-cRb44#t=0m49s
B31e7abd14f1ceb4c4957da08933c630?d=identicon&s=25 Josh Cheek (josh-cheek)
On Wed, Jan 29, 2014 at 7:16 AM, Tony Arcieri
<tony.arcieri@gmail.com>wrote:

> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ng95M-cRb44#t=0m49s
>
> --
> Tony Arcieri

<3
64a808c19ac542b14c4021dcb9484a37?d=identicon&s=25 Ruby Student (rubystudent66)
I heard ruby programmers get much beautiful dates. It does not work for
me
as I am mediocre!
9a45896e48a382fe5c656b8873e0dfcb?d=identicon&s=25 Stu (Guest)
It was built with secret alien techno freax deep inside a wormhole by a
bunch of overinflated linguists wearing group_on {|t| shirts} pretending
be overpaid mathematicians whilst marketing overpriced calculators under
the deep inflation of crowd sourced soft goods. Though I may not fix
your
vision it's merely an inflection based approach to the negated reality
that
one who may ask for a simple truth may in fact neglect their own
intuition
of building the next context switch yielding a false sense of security.

On Tue, Jan 28, 2014 at 11:40 PM, Srbu Nicolae-Cezar <
0bfcd39eb1ec753fcc00f2e88bbea6bd?d=identicon&s=25 Sîrbu Nicolae-Cezar (Guest)
So basically nothing.

*Cu respect,*
*Sirbu Nicolae-Cezar*

*sirbunicolaecezar@gmail.com <sirbunicolaecezar@gmail.com> | web
developer
|  **+4 (0767) 508 109*
NOTICE: This email and any file transmitted are confidential and/or
legally
privileged and intended only for the person(s) directly addressed. If
you
are not the intended recipient, any use, copying, transmission,
distribution, or other forms of dissemination is strictly prohibited. If
you have received this email in error, please notify the sender
immediately
and permanently delete the email and files, if any.
E0d864d9677f3c1482a20152b7cac0e2?d=identicon&s=25 Robert Klemme (robert_k78)
On Mon, Feb 3, 2014 at 4:20 PM, Srbu Nicolae-Cezar
<sirbunicolaecezar@gmail.com> wrote:
> So basically nothing.

We do not know you. We do especially not know your "vision of Ruby".
How should we know what will completely change it? How should we know
what kind of replies you are expecting? With such an open question
it's basically impossible to come up with meaningful replies.

Usually it's best to post more specific questions to get useful
replies - just because we're not psychic and cannot read other
people's minds. You could start by laying out what your idea of Ruby
is - and what you see critical if at all.

Kind regards

robert
0bfcd39eb1ec753fcc00f2e88bbea6bd?d=identicon&s=25 Sîrbu Nicolae-Cezar (Guest)
Despite the fact that everything is an object in Ruby, despite the fact
that Ruby has more than IF, ELSE, WHILE syntax such as UNLESS, despite
the
fact that you have a very minimal programming language, i think an
useful
answer was something like: "you can implement a singleton much easier"..

Best regards

On Mon, Feb 3, 2014 at 6:05 PM, Robert Klemmu e
0bfcd39eb1ec753fcc00f2e88bbea6bd?d=identicon&s=25 Sîrbu Nicolae-Cezar (Guest)
But NOO, let's make fun of the newbies. Thanks all for your constructive
attitude. You guys managed to take the fun out of Ruby.

Thanks

On Mon, Feb 3, 2014 at 6:10 PM, Srbu Nicolae-Cezar <
14b5582046b4e7b24ab69b7886a35868?d=identicon&s=25 Joel Pearson (virtuoso)
on 2014-02-03 17:49
Troll alert! Abandon thread!
On Mon, Feb 3, 2014 at 8:12 AM, Srbu Nicolae-Cezar
<sirbunicolaecezar@gmail.com> wrote:
> You guys managed to take the fun out of Ruby.

Nah, I just checked the Fun Reservoir and it's fully topped off.

Please proceed with your Monday.
0bfcd39eb1ec753fcc00f2e88bbea6bd?d=identicon&s=25 Sîrbu Nicolae-Cezar (Guest)
On Mon, Feb 3, 2014 at 7:39 PM, Hassan Schroeder
<hassan.schroeder@gmail.com
> wrote:

> http://about.me/hassanschroeder
> twitter: @hassan

You clearly don't C# Hassan.

Please proceed with your life.
27b3d922737b0cb5ed1428509a816e01?d=identicon&s=25 Micky (Guest)
If are coming from other programming languages, there are few things in
Ruby that would change your vision about programming in general.

1. Everything (with few exceptions) is an object in Ruby.
2. There are tons of methods for objects like String or Arrays. Makes
your
life easier.
3. There is no real use of for loops in Ruby. Instead, the .each method
is
quite common.
4. If you haven't used blocks or procs before, you will be simply blown
away by their functionality.
5. Classes are much simpler, cleaner, shorter and more configurable than
anything you might have used.

If that's what you wanted to know, you could have probably mentioned the
background before.
But anyway, if that gets you interested, there is a really good intro
that
Josh Cheek few years back, called as Ruby-Kickstarter (available on
Github).

On Mon, Feb 3, 2014 at 10:50 PM, Srbu Nicolae-Cezar <
On Mon, Feb 3, 2014 at 8:09 PM, Micky <mickylmartin@gmail.com> wrote:

> 5. Classes are much simpler, cleaner, shorter and more configurable than
> sirbunicolaecezar@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Please proceed with your Monday.

Awsome, thanks Micky!

Best regards
27b3d922737b0cb5ed1428509a816e01?d=identicon&s=25 Micky (Guest)
No worries. If you need to know anything else, feel free to ask!

On Mon, Feb 3, 2014 at 11:21 PM, Srbu Nicolae-Cezar <
64a808c19ac542b14c4021dcb9484a37?d=identicon&s=25 Ruby Student (rubystudent66)
Sirbu,

You are taking things too personally. But if you really read and think
very
careful about the answer provided by Robert Klemme, you'll find the
reasons
why there is no way to answer you question in a way that would make
sense.
<https://plus.google.com/u/2/105762305556753404219?...

On Mon, Feb 3, 2014 at 12:50 PM, Srbu Nicolae-Cezar <
0bfcd39eb1ec753fcc00f2e88bbea6bd?d=identicon&s=25 Sîrbu Nicolae-Cezar (Guest)
On Mon, Feb 3, 2014 at 8:32 PM, Ruby Student <ruby.student@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 3, 2014 at 12:50 PM, Srbu Nicolae-Cezar <
>>>
>> Please proceed with your life.
>>

> --
> Ruby Student

Oh please you, shut up, your words doesn't mean anything after you kid
around. I agree with the fact that the question wasn't that precise, but
got my answer, so case closed.

Best regards
Cezar
64a808c19ac542b14c4021dcb9484a37?d=identicon&s=25 Ruby Student (rubystudent66)
The kid is also rude! LOL.

On Mon, Feb 3, 2014 at 1:39 PM, Srbu Nicolae-Cezar <
9a45896e48a382fe5c656b8873e0dfcb?d=identicon&s=25 Stu (Guest)
I can't say for sure though it may be optional to consider how one may
deal
with exploring new dialects coming from an inferior closed minded view
of
STFU and GTFO opinionated implementation of HHOK to their own mis-guided
attempt to explore the domain problem... maybe this will help you for
the
next question : http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html unless
the next question has no real value which one may derive any facts to
produce without error an actual determinate response.

On Mon, Feb 3, 2014 at 12:39 PM, Srbu Nicolae-Cezar <
Abdb670e1c130f96f947a94d03c02efa?d=identicon&s=25 Eric Christopherson (echristopherson)
On Mon, Feb 3, 2014 at 5:48 PM, Stu <stu@rubyprogrammer.net> wrote:

> I can't say for sure though it may be optional to consider how one may
> deal with exploring new dialects coming from an inferior closed minded view
> of STFU and GTFO opinionated implementation of HHOK to their own mis-guided
> attempt to explore the domain problem... maybe this will help you for the
> next question : http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html unless
> the next question has no real value which one may derive any facts to
> produce without error an actual determinate response.

I think we should just stop now.

Although the ESR page is a classic and a must-read.
> I agree with the fact that the question wasn't that
> precise, but i got my answer, so case closed.

I don't think you got your answer because if you would
you would have learned something.

The proper answer to your fake question 'completely change
my vision about Ruby programming language' is elegance.

This is the single reason that trumps all the other reasons
given. It is something that most other programming languages
will not often have.

If you don't understand what elegance means then have
fun coding in javascript, I am sure you will write the
next node.js in it (lol) - https://github.com/sarbull
but you are already a php expert so why don't you stay
in that awesome language?
https://github.com/sarbull/Simplify/tree/master/lib

Note that "everything (with few exceptions) is an object in
Ruby." is a cop-out that is useless. It is simply a model
for how to handle complexity. But given your complexity in
PHP, I dare claim that ruby can do everything much better
than PHP.

Wanna put up and write frameworks from scratch to compare?
All libraries used in these must be written from zero of
course - anyone found copy/pasting automatically loses.
Existing account

No account? Register here.