Forum: Ruby on Rails Advice for RoR begginer, first book

5b972395a92333843018b4add8af0437?d=identicon&s=25 Damián M. González (igorjorobus)
on 2014-01-27 15:10
Hi guys, I'm looking for some help, some advice about which book should
get to start to learn Rails. This is not an ordinary case, since I've
mastered Ruby, the language itself. Been working with it for 2 years,
I've made some desktop application, games, also I can programm in BDD
way, know how to use RSpec and Cucumber, and have few experiencie with
databases. But I have 0 experiencie with web development. Which book can
u recommend me to start with Rails? Thanks for your time.
Ec2c1a36301b0223c3e281bd2ec3f37a?d=identicon&s=25 Dave Aronson (Guest)
On Mon, Jan 27, 2014 at 9:10 AM, Damián M. González
<lists@ruby-forum.com> wrote:

> I'm looking for some help, some advice about which book should
> get to start to learn Rails. This is not an ordinary case, since I've
> mastered Ruby,

Even so, I would still recommend Michael Hartl's "Rails Tutorial",
free to use online at
http://ruby.railstutorial.org/ruby-on-rails-tutorial-book/.  You can
just skip the bits that are about things you already know.

-Dave

--
Dave Aronson, the T. Rex of Codosaurus LLC (codosaur.us),
freelance software developer, and creator of these sites:
<lists@ruby-forum.com> wrote:

> Thank you Dave, I'll do that. Any more advice?

Mainly what Nike keeps telling you: Just Do It!  There's no substitute
for hands-on experience.

-Dave

--
Dave Aronson, the T. Rex of Codosaurus LLC (codosaur.us),
freelance software developer, and creator of these sites:
PullRequestRoulette.com, blog.codosaur.us, & Dare2XL.com.
6c646945709cdce3abab17f1c084d064?d=identicon&s=25 Jeffrey Katz (Guest)
If you feel like you need more ruby practice, this is an excellent
starting
point, and concepts should be understood before digging full speed into
rails.

http://ruby.bastardsbook.com/resources/

On Mon, Jan 27, 2014 at 3:26 PM, Dave Aronson <
On Mon, Jan 27, 2014 at 8:10 AM, Damián M. González
<lists@ruby-forum.com>wrote:

Specifically on Rails:

- Agile Web Dev in Rails (DHH author) -- 4th ed covers Rails 4
- Rails 4 in Action -- still in development, but you can get an early
access copy
Existing account

No account? Register here.