Forum: Ruby on Rails passenger apache2 setup with ipaddress

1c8a5d8dea6c3e1739f75263687528a2?d=identicon&s=25 saravanan p (Guest)

Good evening!

Is that possible to point like below

<VirtualHost *:80>
  ServerName *xxx.xxx.xx.x/mysite * #server ip address
  DocumentRoot /path/to/projects/public
  RailsEnv development
  <Directory /path/to/projects/public>
    AllowOverride all
    Options -MultiViews
  </Directory>
</VirtualHost>

and Can I access *xxx.xxx.xx.x/mysite *in my browser? I tries this but
its
doesn't work...

// hosts file
xxx.xxx.xx.x   xxx.xxx.xx.x/mysite

is this possible or we have to give only name (domain name) ? i.e
example.com/mysite
A47e0a6beeb9d048ff054fc1c3a97418?d=identicon&s=25 Walter Davis (walterdavis)
On Jan 22, 2014, at 6:04 AM, saravanan p wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Good evening!
>
> Is that possible to point like below

It sounds like you are setting this up for localhost viewing, or on a
local network. My answers are somewhat specific to this, particularly
the part about your hosts file.

> <VirtualHost *:80>
>   ServerName xxx.xxx.xx.x/mysite  #server ip address

ServerName takes a hostname, not an IP address or path. Try mysite.com
instead.

>   DocumentRoot /path/to/projects/public

If your Rails app is called "Projects", then this line looks correct.

>   RailsEnv development
>   <Directory /path/to/projects/public>

Ditto, this path should match the DocumentRoot line.

>     AllowOverride all
>     Options -MultiViews
>   </Directory>
> </VirtualHost>
>
> and Can I access xxx.xxx.xx.x/mysite in my browser? I tries this but its doesn't
work...

If you had set up the server to respond to mysite.com, and the server
was running, then you would point your browser to mysite.com/ and see
whatever you had configured your root path to be.

> // hosts file
> xxx.xxx.xx.x   xxx.xxx.xx.x/mysite

In your hosts file, you would put

  xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx  mysite.com

A DNS record like this would point *from* an IP *to* a virtual host. In
production, you would set up your public server to respond to your
actual domain name, and you would have your DNS hosting provider point
your domain to the public IP address of your actual server.

Walter
1c8a5d8dea6c3e1739f75263687528a2?d=identicon&s=25 saravanan p (Guest)
> Is that possible to point like below

   > It sounds like you are setting this up for localhost viewing, or on
local network. My answers are somewhat specific to this, particularly
the
part about your hosts file.

        No, its not local network. In local network i can setup with any
domain name in hosts file and i can access the rails app with that
domain
name in my browser.
        Problem is, i have server ip address with global access. But i
don't have domain name for that server.
        If I mention 121.0.0.1 mysite.com in my server hosts file,  i
know
i cant access mysite.com in my local browser.

        I am trying to setup like ServerName server_ip_address/mysite
instead of ServerName mysite.com/mysite
        I think we can only give mysite.com. mysite.com/mysite will not
point rails application.

A47e0a6beeb9d048ff054fc1c3a97418?d=identicon&s=25 Walter Davis (walterdavis)
On Jan 22, 2014, at 10:37 PM, saravanan p wrote:

If you have properly pointed Apache to the /public folder inside your
Rails app root, then asking for mysite.com/mysite will look first for a
file or folder in the /public folder named mysite, and second will look
for a route in the routes file that matches that URL. There may be a way
to run Rails in a subfolder URL, but I've never used it. You don't seem
to be asking that. Please let me know if that isn't clear, or if that is
actually what you want.

Walter
46f52c33235283752423837b91c581dd?d=identicon&s=25 Norm Scherer (Guest)
On 01/22/2014 08:37 PM, saravanan p wrote:
> don't have domain name for that server.
>         If I mention 121.0.0.1 mysite.com <http://mysite.com> in my
> server hosts file,  i know i cant access mysite.com
> <http://mysite.com> in my local browser.
On your server system and on your client (local) system (all assuming
you cannot set it up in dns) you need to have the server associated with
the ip.  On the server it is as simple as putting '127.0.0.1 localhost
mysite' in the /etc/hosts file and on the client (local) system you
would put '121.0.0.1 mysite' in the /etc/hosts file (this assumes that
121.0.0.1 is the address of the server).  In your virtual host file you
would list the server name as mysite.  You are making this all too
complex.

You do not need to mess with domains etc. if you have the static ip and
hostname information available.

Norm
Fae85fe31599b57dac5c9beeba25f68b?d=identicon&s=25 Mārtiņš Poļakovs (Guest)

If I understand you correctly, you want to deploy your rails app to
sub-uri. There's a how-to in passenger documentation:
http://www.modrails.com/documentation/Users%20guid...

I think you don't have to put ServerName xxx.xxx.xx.xx at all in your
VirtualHost file, because ServerName is a host name not an ip address:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/core.html#servername

you should put the passenger config in a default virtualhost for your
apache installation.
1c8a5d8dea6c3e1739f75263687528a2?d=identicon&s=25 saravanan p (Guest)
If I understand you correctly, you want to deploy your rails app to
sub-uri. There's a how-to in passenger documentation:
http://www.modrails.com/documentation/Users%20guid...

I think you don't have to put ServerName xxx.xxx.xx.xx at all in your
VirtualHost file, because ServerName is a host name not an ip address:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/core.html#servername

you should put the passenger config in a default virtualhost for your
apache installation.

     Hi Martins,

       yes, you understand me correctly :)

       I checked the links which you provide and its very helpful to me
and
i solved my problem.

Thanks!
Saravanan P

On Fri, Jan 24, 2014 at 1:54 PM, Mārtiņš Poļakovs <
Existing account

No account? Register here.