Forum: GNU Radio Pybombs issue

E16be4811324adf8f26be26d77e9d29d?d=identicon&s=25 Robert McGwier (Guest)
I did an update to pybombs two days ago, and immediately gnuradio got to
around 57% completion and just hung my Ubuntu 13.10 computer so hard, I
couldn't get it to respond to ctrl-alt-del for over half and hour.

I tried again after doing a force rebuild on gnuradio and it was worse.
long-hit the power button to do a reset.

I checked the pybombs defaults and it is makewidth = 4, but it certainly
acts like it is ignoring this and doing

make -j

.  Further symptoms include a nonstop, hard green LED on disk writes on
a 8
GB system.  I have never seen it actually go to a major use of virtual
memory (if that is what is happening) until now.

I went into src/gnuradio/build and did a manual make -j4 and it worked
perfectly, thus my diagnosis.

Bob
On Thu, Jan 9, 2014 at 11:15 AM, Robert McGwier <rwmcgwier@gmail.com>
wrote:
> make -j
>
> .  Further symptoms include a nonstop, hard green LED on disk writes on a 8
> GB system.  I have never seen it actually go to a major use of virtual
> memory (if that is what is happening) until now.
>
> I went into src/gnuradio/build and did a manual make -j4 and it worked
> perfectly, thus my diagnosis.
>
> Bob

Yep, making with an unnumerated -j is really dangerous, even on very
high-end systems.

There was another report about issues with makewidth, so that needs
looking into.

Tom
24bfeba02a47174102eecc303a89bce2?d=identicon&s=25 Tim (Guest)
It should now prompt for a value if makewidth is undefined w
an open -j argument was never the intended behavior - as it is not
particularly safe

Also the boost recipe has been converted to do $makewidth wide builds
with bjam now

-Tim
Existing account

No account? Register here.