Forum: Ruby-Gnome 2 Gtk and ruby-gtk on ARM

B078cb4f4fb473c7a54d1fc36d10c70e?d=identicon&s=25 Regis d'Aubarede (raubarede)
on 2014-01-06 21:00
Hello,

I need to develop for ARM CPU :
* ARM CPU, with 250..512 MB Ram
* Ethernet+USP+I2C communications
* graphic display (LCD...)
* linux as firmware

Is it possible to use ruby + Gtk for this kind of target ?
Should we recompile (ruby) + Gtk + ruby-gtk ?

Thank you,

============
NOTA:

At first watch, we found ISEE hardware :
* IGEP COM on Paris or Berlin package
* 500..1000 $ for complete package (cpu+display+ power convertissor...)
* "IGEP Firmware Yocto: a lite X Window System with GNOME Mobile based
  applications"
* Industrial range : -40 to 85ºC

https://www.isee.biz/products/igep-processor-board...

Raspberry Pi seem to weak for our usage, perhaps arduino Tre could be
ok.
3853dd5371ac1e094fc45d6c2aa0e459?d=identicon&s=25 Carlo E. Prelz (Guest)
Subject: [ruby-gnome2-devel-en] Gtk and ruby-gtk on ARM
  Date: lun 06 gen 14 09:00:16 +0100

Quoting Regis d'Aubarede (ruby-forum-incoming@andreas-s.net):

> I need to develop for ARM CPU :
> * ARM CPU, with 250..512 MB Ram
> * Ethernet+USP+I2C communications
> * graphic display (LCD...)
> * linux as firmware
>
> Is it possible to use ruby + Gtk for this kind of target ?
> Should we recompile (ruby) + Gtk + ruby-gtk ?

I have done some tinkering on a so-called 'Olinuxino.' See here:

https://www.olimex.com/Products/OLinuXino/

These are boads based on Allwinner CPU's - A13, A10s, A10 and A20. I
tinkered with the A13 model (1GHz single core) but double-core
A20-based boards are available. They are made in Bulgaria (!) by a
company with quite a long history. Boards are open-hardware - CAD
files can be downloaded. A20 is a Cortex-A7 and A13 is a Cortex-A8.

There is a bootable Debian MicroSD. Once you have Debian running,
experience is not much different from what you generally get on your
PC.

I was personally interested in some low-level stuff, so I compiled my
own kernel and used mruby rather than full-blown ruby. And I did not
use Gtk (or X) (have a look at https://github.com/asfluido/olinuxino
to read more about the little bit of work I did). But experience
suggests to me that, if you install Ruby and Xfce from Debian, and are
patient enough during compile, the default ruby-gnome distribution
will build normally, directly onboard (I use Ruby-gtk on a day-to-day
basis on PC).

More information on Linux for Allwinner CPUs can be found on
http://linux-sunxi.org

HTH

Carlo

PS I am not connected with Olimex - just a client

--
  *         Se la Strada e la sua Virtu' non fossero state messe da
parte,
Carlo E. Prelz wrote in post #1132398:
> I have done some tinkering on a so-called 'Olinuxino.'

Pricing is much more cheaper than ISEE hardware !
Seem to mess case product.

> There is a bootable Debian MicroSD. Once you have Debian running,
> own kernel and used mruby rather than full-blown ruby.

Very interesting , mruby is it practicable ?
there are very few witness on mruby+ARM usage !

> And I did not use Gtk (or X)

This was my question...
Watching  issue log of ruby-gtk project, generation seem hard.

Thank you,
3853dd5371ac1e094fc45d6c2aa0e459?d=identicon&s=25 Carlo E. Prelz (Guest)
Subject: Re: [ruby-gnome2-devel-en] Gtk and ruby-gtk on ARM
  Date: mar 07 gen 14 05:28:54 +0100

Quoting Regis d'Aubarede (ruby-forum-incoming@andreas-s.net):

> Carlo E. Prelz wrote in post #1132398:
> > I have done some tinkering on a so-called 'Olinuxino.'
>
> Pricing is much more cheaper than ISEE hardware !
> Seem to mess case product.

Uh?

> > There is a bootable Debian MicroSD. Once you have Debian running,
> > own kernel and used mruby rather than full-blown ruby.
>
> Very interesting , mruy is it usefull ?
> there are very few witness on mruby+ARM usage !

Mruby is still young, but it was a pleasure to work on, and extend
using C. I hope its development goes on.

> > And I did not use Gtk (or X)
>
> This was my question...
> Watching  issue log of ruby-gtk project, generation seem hard.

Most of the problems I see on this list are windows-related. When you
have debian running, there is really no difference whether you run on
a couple of Xeons, or a humble ARM - apart from having to wait a long
time for compilation. After all, my fortran programs back in the
eighties also took a long time to compile!

I did not directly experiment with gtk on the Olinuxino because I only
have a 4.3" screen, which makes using X a bit awkward. But from my
experience, once I had Ruby and the Gnome dev libraries installed from
Debian, I see no special problems in getting the ruby-gnome repo from
github and recreating on a 45€ ARM board the same development
environment that I am using for the boring data-entry programs that I
have to be busy with in these gloomy days.

Of course, whether this sort of solution cuts your cake depends on the
cake itself. You may have to get your hands a litte bit dirty, but
that's the funny part.

Carlo

--
  *         Se la Strada e la sua Virtu' non fossero state messe da
parte,
* K * Carlo E. Prelz - fluido@fluido.as             che bisogno ci
sarebbe
  *               di parlare tanto di amore e di rettitudine?
(Chuang-Tzu)
B078cb4f4fb473c7a54d1fc36d10c70e?d=identicon&s=25 Regis d'Aubarede (raubarede)
on 2014-01-08 18:49
Carlo E. Prelz wrote in post #1132493:

> You may have to get your hands a litte bit dirty, but

Ok, i will start that with gemu, and will post somewhere binary ARM
staticly linked (ruby,ruby+gtk,mruby) : on github (?)

> that's the funny part.

Um Um...

Thank you for all this informations,
Existing account