Purpose of packet encoder/decoder block?

what is the purpose of encoder/decoder block? is it used for
synchronization or for some other purpose? please answer me as soon as
possible

regards
Irfan U.

Hi All,

I’m designing a coherent bursting GMSK receiver which includes MLSE.

What will be the correct flow graph of the receiver:

  1.   Preamble detection --> carrier tracking --> phase tracking -->

MLSE

  1.   Preamble detection --> MLSE --> carrier tracking --> phase

tracking

Thank you,
Alex