Forum: NGINX nginx ssl handshake vs apache

Ebfa54c92a50798dfdbbdb4e28ed1f29?d=identicon&s=25 Richard Kearsley (Guest)
Hi
I was watching this video by fastly ceo
http://youtu.be/zrSvoQz1GOs?t=24m44s
he talks about the nginx ssl handshake versus apache and comes to the
conclusion that apache was more efficient at mass handshakes due to
nginx blocking while it calls back to openssl

I was hoping to get other people's opinion on this and find out if what
he says is accurate or not

Many thanks
Richard
63f341734581b167c7b698169bdd2510?d=identicon&s=25 Lukas Tribus (Guest)
> Hi
>
> I was watching this video by fastly ceo http://youtu.be/zrSvoQz1GOs?t=24m44s
> he talks about the nginx ssl handshake versus apache and comes to the
> conclusion that apache was more efficient at mass handshakes due to
> nginx blocking while it calls back to openssl
>
> I was hoping to get other people's opinion on this and find out if what
> he says is accurate or not

I would be interested in opinions/statements about this as well.

Regards,

Lukas
0f7a1240e82f744c6c607fa7081b99f7?d=identicon&s=25 Igor Sysoev (Guest)
On Apr 20, 2014, at 21:17 , Lukas Tribus wrote:

> I would be interested in opinions/statements about this as well.
nginx worker blocks on SSL handshake as well as on disk I/O. But in
contrast
to the disk I/O during the handshake you can not do anything else on
this CPU
at this time until CPU time share slice will end for the current
process/thread.
If a typical time share slice is 1ms and the 1024-bit key handshake time
is 0.5ms
then the chances that another process/thread is able to run on the same
CPU are 25%.
The lesser handshake time the lesser chances.

--
Igor Sysoev
http://nginx.com
On Apr 21, 2014, at 12:46 , Igor Sysoev wrote:

>>> he says is accurate or not
>>
>> I would be interested in opinions/statements about this as well.
>
> nginx worker blocks on SSL handshake as well as on disk I/O. But in contrast
> to the disk I/O during the handshake you can not do anything else on this CPU
> at this time until CPU time share slice will end for the current process/thread.
> If a typical time share slice is 1ms and the 1024-bit key handshake time is
0.5ms
> then the chances that another process/thread is able to run on the same CPU are
25%.

Sorry, 50%.
Existing account

No account? Register here.