Forum: GNU Radio Re: Gnuradio 3.7.2 Windows?

F762b223a87f868db769f9a297fe976c?d=identicon&s=25 Mike W. (mike_w)
Has anyone actually managed to successfully install and run the latest
gnuradio in Windows 7 based on these
http://code.ettus.com/redmine/ettus/projects/uhd/w...
instructions?

I don't believe this page is up to date as I just cannot get it to work.
It
was OK if something of a struggle with 3.6.

Although it nearly works, the gui modules do not work at all but produce
rather unhelpful error message. E.g. this is with a wxgui fft sink added
the dialtone example. The tone works fine but not with any gui.

"TypeError: ("No array-type handler for type <class 'ctypes.c_ulong'>
(value: c_ulong(0L)) registered", <OpenGL.converters.CallFuncPyConverter
object at 0x0482A3D0>)

"

How am I supposed to understand this? It looks to me like a problem with
pyopengl but that has been installed as indicated in the instructions.
Are
the instructions wrong? Is this the wrong version? Does it just not work
anyway?

I must admit to getting extremely frustrated with gnuradio and its lack
or
usability for those of us who are not professional programmers.

Mike

Here is the debug code.

    self._initText()

  File "C:\Program
Files\gnuradio\lib\site-packages\gnuradio\wxgui\plotter\gltext.py", line
376, in _initText

    self._centered)

  File "C:\Program
Files\gnuradio\lib\site-packages\gnuradio\wxgui\plotter\gltext.py", line
73,
in __init__

    self.createTexture()

  File "C:\Program
Files\gnuradio\lib\site-packages\gnuradio\wxgui\plotter\gltext.py", line
229, in createTexture

    self._texture = glGenTextures(1)

  File
"C:\Python27\lib\site-packages\pyopengl-3.1.0a3-py2.7.egg\OpenGL\latebind.py
", line 61, in __call__

    return self.wrapperFunction( self.baseFunction, *args, **named )

  File
"C:\Python27\lib\site-packages\pyopengl-3.1.0a3-py2.7.egg\OpenGL\GL\exceptio
nal.py", line 189, in glGenTextures

    baseFunction( count, textures)

  File
"C:\Python27\lib\site-packages\pyopengl-3.1.0a3-py2.7.egg\OpenGL\latebind.py
", line 45, in __call__

    return self._finalCall( *args, **named )

  File
"C:\Python27\lib\site-packages\pyopengl-3.1.0a3-py2.7.egg\OpenGL\wrapper.py"
, line 571, in wrapperCall

    pyArgs = tuple( calculate_pyArgs( args ))

  File
"C:\Python27\lib\site-packages\pyopengl-3.1.0a3-py2.7.egg\OpenGL\wrapper.py"
, line 356, in calculate_pyArgs

    yield converter(args[index], self, args)

  File
"C:\Python27\lib\site-packages\pyopengl-3.1.0a3-py2.7.egg\OpenGL\converters.
py", line 134, in __call__

    return self.function( incoming )

  File
"C:\Python27\lib\site-packages\pyopengl-3.1.0a3-py2.7.egg\OpenGL\arrays\arra
ydatatype.py", line 141, in asArray

    return cls.getHandler(value).asArray( value, typeCode or
cls.typeConstant )

  File
"C:\Python27\lib\site-packages\pyopengl-3.1.0a3-py2.7.egg\OpenGL\arrays\arra
ydatatype.py", line 52, in __call__

    typ, repr(value)[:50]

TypeError: ("No array-type handler for type <class 'ctypes.c_ulong'>
(value:
c_ulong(0L)) registered", <OpenGL.converters.CallFuncPyConverter object
at
0x0482A3D0>)
Cca336c4dc168edf8acb18a5c3410a07?d=identicon&s=25 Andrew Davis (Guest)
Hello,

>Has anyone actually managed to successfully install and run the latest
gnuradio in Windows 7

Yes, but not using those instruction, building from source is much more
fun
:), but they look like they worked for you outside of that error.

Also If you Google your error other people are having that problem as
well,
so it's not Gnuradio related but something with pyopengl on certain
windows
systems. I'd say try installing an older version of pyopengl.

> I must admit to getting extremely frustrated with Gnuradio and its lack
or usability for those of us who are not professional programmers.

While I agree it's not quite user friendly it is a software defined
radio
API and development system, so it's not gonna be like going to be like
installing a program and listening to the radio, you will need
some software savvyness to build a SDR. If you just want to use a SDR
there
are many already made programs for individual tasks.

Andrew
Ce63a5d1b3673f18d33a7ef8870b8bc1?d=identicon&s=25 Bhaskar (Guest)
Instructions for installing on Windows 7 found at:
https://www.liamschneider.com/node/9

Let us know if it works for you.

Thanks Andrew - I had goggled it and not found anything helpful. I am
not
sure an earlier version of pyopengl would work but I suppose it is worth
try.

I don't want an SDR like HDSDR, I want to use Gnuradio to do things most
SDRs can not do - 3.6.5 worked but everyone has now moved on to 3.7 and
was hoping, perhaps naively, that it would be sensible to try to install
it
under windows.

Mike

<rant>

The problem with Gnuradio isn't so much understanding the DSP side -
it's
installing and getting the system to work and keeping it working. The
main
problem I find is the continuous changing of the basic framework often
breaks many things in the process in a way that only an experienced
python
programmer can fathom how to fix. Even the supplied examples don't work
because the modules have been shuffled around, renamed etc. Instructions
rapidly become outdated and the new user then has no clue why the advice
they find on the Gnuradio site doesn't work. Backwards compatibility
isn't a
priority when developing a new framework, but Gnuradio in its present
form
has been around for 10 years so it should really have settled down and
there
shouldn't be these big break everything changes with each new minor
release.
If it were truly stable I think it would be much more successful by now.

</rant>

On Mon, Dec 23, 2013 at 4:47 AM, Mike Willis <willis.mj@gmail.com
<mailto:willis.mj@gmail.com> > wrote:

[...]

Existing account