I would like to understand how to apply a hatch effect on an object.

I saw the "DialogLivePathEffect: Manage, edit, and apply path effects
(Shift+Ctrl+7)" option, but I would like to know how to set it right.

--select=myobject --verb DialogLivePathEffect

but then, nothing. How does that work ? I would like to edit the
different values inside as well..

Thanks !
Aefd46e73e6b7449c5ce1ce0156797d2?d=identicon&s=25 su_v (Guest)
On 2013-12-05 14:58 +0100, Alain Meunier wrote:
> I would like to understand how to apply a hatch effect on an object.
>
> I saw the "DialogLivePathEffect: Manage, edit, and apply path effects
> (Shift+Ctrl+7)" option, but I would like to know how to set it right.
>
> --select=myobject --verb DialogLivePathEffect
>
> but then, nothing. How does that work ? I would like to edit the
> different values inside as well..

The verb, as indicated by its name, simply opens the dialog (it is used
internally for the menu item to open the path effect editor). Path
effects cannot be _applied_ via verbs from the command line (i.e.
without interaction in the GUI).

Verbs in Inkscape are rather limited: they do not take any parameters.
AFAIU this prevents implementing support for applying and editing path
effects from the command line via verbs (except maybe for path effects
which do not have any parameters, like the 'Spiro Splines' effect).

hth, V
4c8551210c2992777f91586f6edabad9?d=identicon&s=25 Alain Meunier (Guest)
Ok,

is my only option a fork ?
7f6f9e75239bfcc5bfb41014e9dc9a26?d=identicon&s=25 Martin Owens (Guest)
On Sat, 2013-12-07 at 12:14 +0100, Alain Meunier wrote:
> Ok,
>
> is my only option a fork ?

Not at all. The command line verb work has already been improved this
year to make what you're asking easier; more improvements would
certainly be useful.

You might be able to achieve a lot with the dbus interface. Or maybe
with the command line verb calls directly.

Martin,
On 2013-12-07 12:14 +0100, Alain Meunier wrote:
> Ok,
>
> is my only option a fork ?

Not sure - maybe wait for more replies (or ideas) in the thread you
started on the developers' mailing list about the same issue before
immediately jumping to this conclusion...

What would you do with that fork - completely rewrite Inkscape's
internal verb system? Implement a new scripting API? (Please note that
trunk already has a new dbus-based scripting API - though I do not know
atm whether it has hooks for applying and editing path effects
directly).

An alternative option instead of forking is to work on a feature branch,
and submit any solution you might implement as merge proposal [1]. But
that's up to you (whether you want to contribute to enhance inkscape, or
whether you prefer to create and maintain a fork).

Regards, V

[1] <https://help.launchpad.net/Code>
4c8551210c2992777f91586f6edabad9?d=identicon&s=25 Alain Meunier (Guest)
Honestly, a fork is way too much to manage for me.

I will wait for any other opinion, but I will have a look at the core to
create/open the api of some functionalities (at least, the one I need
first) and submit it back.

I means that, no matter what, I will have to run my own fork the time my
propositions are accepted.

Still wait for other way to go before I get my hands dirty :)
Existing account

No account? Register here.