Forum: NGINX Suppress "no index file" errors when autoindex on

Nikolaos Milas (Guest)
Hello,

Can we suppress errors of the form:

2013/11/19 10:14:58 [error] 21848#0: *49602
"/path/to/web/root/DATA/2013/320/index.php" is not found (2: No such
file or directory), client: ::ffff:xxx.xxx.154.69, server:
www.example.com, request: "GET /location/path/2013/320/ HTTP/1.1", host:
"www.example.com"

...when Autoindex is on? In these cases, we want clients to browse the
directory for data and there is simply no index page available.

Please advise.

Thanks,
Nick
Maxim Dounin (Guest)
Hello!

On Tue, Nov 19, 2013 at 04:42:01PM +0200, Nikolaos Milas wrote:

> ...when Autoindex is on? In these cases, we want clients to browse
> the directory for data and there is simply no index page available.

Normal use of index files (as per the "index" directive, see
http://nginx.org/r/index) doesn't cause such error messages to
appear.  Instead, index module is silently skipped, and autoindex
starts working.

Most likely you are using some rewrite instead, or something like
this.

--
Maxim Dounin
http://nginx.org/en/donation.html
On 19/11/2013 4:49 μμ, Maxim Dounin wrote:

> Most likely you are using some rewrite instead, or something like
> this.

Thank you,

In the end, it seems someone was actually trying to enter a wrong URL.

Thanks for the clarifications and sorry for the noise...

Nick