Forum: NGINX rewrite and proxy_pass at the same time in nginx

2974d09ac2541e892966b762aad84943?d=identicon&s=25 marianopeck (Guest)
HI guys. I am trying to make something to work in nginx but I have no
luck.
I posted in StackOverflow, and no answer.
I wish any of you can help me. I paste the SO question here as well:

I am using nginx and I need a proxy to redirect some service. From my
application, I should be able to do a POST, for example, to this URL:
http://localhost:8776/specialService/aserverthatli....
And I need to rewrite it like this:
https://aserverthatlistens.com/serviceToCall (notice that this URL is
HTTPS,
not HTTP).

I know I can use rewrite but I don't know how to use proxy_pass also,
because the url of the proxy_pass should be what I rewrote...

Notice that I cannot know in advance what is the final url
(aserverthatlistens.com in this example), so I always need to get it
form
the URL. I could send it as parameter if that help instead of being part
of
the URL.

So far my server configuration looks like this:

server
{
  listen 8776;
  server_name localhost;

  access_log  /var/log/nginx/tunnel.log;
  error_log  /var/log/nginx/error.log info;

  location ~ ^/someService(/.*)$ {
      proxy_pass https://$1;

  }

}

Posted at Nginx Forum:
36a8284995fa0fb82e6aa2bede32adac?d=identicon&s=25 Francis Daly (Guest)
On Mon, Nov 18, 2013 at 03:55:08PM -0500, marianopeck wrote:

Hi there,

<snippage>

> server
> {
>   location ~ ^/someService(/.*)$ {
>       proxy_pass https://$1;
>   }
> }

What does the error log say?

What does the error log say when you change proxy_pass to have 2 slashes
and not 3?

Francis Daly        francis@daoine.org