Forum: Inkscape Layers (was: Make document square; keep contents centered)

F4ca76060d0eed67a37b4a92cf809545?d=identicon&s=25 Chris Mohler (Guest)
On Wed, Nov 13, 2013 at 5:29 PM, Chris Tooley <euxneks@gmail.com> wrote:
> Offtopic: is there a reason to work with layers? Is there a memory savings
> on that? grouping has always been sufficient for me...

I can't live without them once the document gets complex.  A common
scenario:

Text Layer
Object layer 3
Object layer 2
Object layer 1
Background layer

Each one containing a fairly large number of objects/groups/etc.

Once you're dealing with hundreds or maybe thousands of objects,
selections can get nutty - layers really help out there.  eg you can
lock or hide all the other layers and do a 'select all' on an object
layer.

Chris
57caf4231f0a1fb65e5ff67aba784542?d=identicon&s=25 Chris Tooley (Guest)
I see, I guess my needs are not as intense as some others! :P

Thank you for the reply!
-Chris
7f6f9e75239bfcc5bfb41014e9dc9a26?d=identicon&s=25 Martin Owens (Guest)
On Wed, 2013-11-13 at 16:19 -0800, Chris Tooley wrote:
> I see, I guess my needs are not as intense as some others! :P

I'll explain from a developer's perspective:

There is no difference between a layer and a group, they are both group
elements. The only difference is that a layer has an inkscape only
attribute which says it's a layer and what it's visible label should be.

Functionally layers can be more easily controlled in terms of visibility
(on/off) and ordering hierarchy can be visualised. On the other hand
plain groups can be transformed, i.e. they can be moved around, rotated,
skewed etc.

The distinction is there to provide a way for different features to
contextualise groups and layers. I have an idea for a checkbox which
would show all groups in the layers dialog for people who want to see
their document's group hierarchy as layers. (which would be interesting)

Best Regards, Martin Owens
33a0818cf14f6003a8b3197dd902c21c?d=identicon&s=25 Josh Andler (Guest)
On Wed, Nov 13, 2013 at 6:25 PM, Martin Owens <doctormo@gmail.com>
wrote:
> The distinction is there to provide a way for different features to
> contextualise groups and layers. I have an idea for a checkbox which
> would show all groups in the layers dialog for people who want to see
> their document's group hierarchy as layers. (which would be interesting)

If you're looking to add this type of feature, I'd recommend checking
out https://bugs.launchpad.net/inkscape/+bug/181578, notably Mental's
comments. Obviously it would take more time and effort, but it's worth
at least taking a look at. This would bring it more inline with the
Layer/Document browsers that Illustrator & Draw have and would help
fulfill the
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/inkscape/+spec/be...
blueprint.

Cheers,