Forum: Ruby on Rails 240.chr different on Linux than Windows?

24c539689cd95ef54ed10234957d6fc1?d=identicon&s=25 RVic (Guest)
on 2013-11-08 02:56
(Received via mailing list)
I'm sending a string through a socket connection from a rails app to
another application. The string is delimited with 240.chr. On windows it
runs fine, on Linux, it seems to put in a different looking character in
for 240.chr. Is this some sort of encoding issue? Is there something
simple
I am overlooking? Thanks, RVic.

    delim = 240.chr
    if userSelected.blank?
      userSelected = userSending
    end

s=row.to_s+delim+userSending+delim+userSelected+delim+message+delim+notes
Aa082c8b00a50928e5860dcd70bf2368?d=identicon&s=25 tamouse m. (tamouse_m)
on 2013-11-08 03:17
(Received via mailing list)
On Nov 7, 2013, at 7:54 PM, RVic <rvince99@hotmail.com> wrote:

>     I'm sending a string through a socket connection from a rails app to another
application. The string is delimited with 240.chr. On windows it runs fine, on
Linux, it seems to put in a different looking character in for 240.chr. Is this
some sort of encoding issue? Is there something simple I am overlooking? Thanks,
RVic.
>
>     delim = 240.chr
>     if userSelected.blank?
>       userSelected = userSending
>     end
>     s=row.to_s+delim+userSending+delim+userSelected+delim+message+delim+notes

If youre using 240.chr as a delimiter, what difference does it make what
the Glyph looks like? The other side should just split on 240.chr.
C0f2e99f6924ce90c9119d4dc8acac48?d=identicon&s=25 R Vince (Guest)
on 2013-11-08 03:21
(Received via mailing list)
I would think so, but the other side is a java socket listener app, and
it
isn't splitting on it in Linux, but is on Windows.
Aa082c8b00a50928e5860dcd70bf2368?d=identicon&s=25 tamouse m. (tamouse_m)
on 2013-11-08 03:34
(Received via mailing list)
On Nov 7, 2013, at 8:20 PM, R Vince <rvince99@gmail.com> wrote:

> >     if userSelected.blank?
> >       userSelected = userSending
> >     end
> >     s=row.to_s+delim+userSending+delim+userSelected+delim+message+delim+notes
>
> If youre using 240.chr as a delimiter, what difference does it make what the
Glyph looks like? The other side should just split on 240.chr.

You need to be looking at the binary data stream to see what is being
sent/received. Dont look at the glyphs at all.
C0f2e99f6924ce90c9119d4dc8acac48?d=identicon&s=25 R Vince (Guest)
on 2013-11-08 03:39
(Received via mailing list)
On Thu, Nov 7, 2013 at 9:32 PM, Tamara Temple
<tamouse.lists@gmail.com>wrote:

>
>
> You need to be looking at the binary data stream to see what is being
> sent/received. Dont look at the glyphs at all.
>
> -

Yes, you;re right -- I need to open up the receiving end and see what
it's
drinking in. Thanks!
Please log in before posting. Registration is free and takes only a minute.
Existing account

NEW: Do you have a Google/GoogleMail, Yahoo or Facebook account? No registration required!
Log in with Google account | Log in with Yahoo account | Log in with Facebook account
No account? Register here.