Forum: GNU Radio Ubuntu 13.10 (Saucy Salamander)

For those of you using Ubuntu 13.10 (Saucy Salamader), we have some
issues with the apt-get version of PyQWT. This has been reported on
and discussed as issue #604 on gnuradio.org. I plan on submitting a
but report to Ubuntu about this, too.

Meanwhile, the best solution for those wanting to use QTGUI on this
platform, I have provided instructions on how to build and install
both PyQT and PyQWT from source (you need the to install PyQT by hand
in order to build PyQWT):

http://gnuradio.org/redmine/projects/gnuradio/wiki...

Note that you do not have to uninstall PyQT from apt-get, but I
recommend uninstalling PyQWT just to be sure.

Tom
C4164bf481aa95c817f00345b58afb76?d=identicon&s=25 Tom M. (tom_m70)
Hi Tom, thanks for your effort.

At the step where PyQt 4.10.3 is installed,

python configure.py -b /opt/qt/bin -d
/opt/qt/lib/python2.7/dist-packages -v /opt/qt/share/sip

The command does many steps then errors out with:
sh: 1: /usr/bin/sip: not found
Error: Unable to create the C++ code.

-- Tom

________________________________

On Thu, Nov 7, 2013 at 3:01 PM, Tom McDermott <tom.mcdermott4@yahoo.com>
wrote:
> Error: Unable to create the C++ code.
>
> -- Tom

Ah, kind of a formatting flaw on my part. I snuck this package into
the apt-get line above acting like everyone would start from scratch.

You have to install the python-sip package:
$ sudo apt-get install python-sip

I've updated the webpage to make this clear.

Tom
On Thu, Nov 7, 2013 at 3:07 PM, Tom Rondeau <tom@trondeau.com> wrote:
>> sh: 1: /usr/bin/sip: not found
> I've updated the webpage to make this clear.
>
> Tom

Just to be on the safe side, I also added the package "python-sip-dev"
which might be the one that actually installs the sip binary. I have
both on all of the instances that I tried this on.

Tom
C4164bf481aa95c817f00345b58afb76?d=identicon&s=25 Tom M. (tom_m70)
Hi Tom - OK, that got PyQt to install...

Now install of PyQwt fails:

./configure.py -Q ../qwt-5.2
--module-install-path=/opt/qt/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/PyQt4/Qwt5produces

sip: Deprecation warning: ../sip/qwt5qt4/QwtModule.sip:32: %Module
version number should be specified using the 'version' argument
sip: Unable to find file "QtCore/QtCoremod.sip"
SIP failed to generate the C++ code.

-- Tpm

________________________________

On Thu, Nov 7, 2013 at 3:31 PM, Tom McDermott <tom.mcdermott4@yahoo.com>
wrote:
> number should be specified using the 'version' argument
> sip: Unable to find file "QtCore/QtCoremod.sip"
> SIP failed to generate the C++ code.
>
> -- Tpm

Ah, ok. This is why we have to install PyQT ourselves and can't rely
on the Ubuntu-installed code. That QtCoremod.sip file is installed
when we install PyQT. My guess is that you have to set up the
environmental variables before trying to configure PyQWT. I updated
the webpage to do this before anything else, so go and look at the new
order of instructions and see if that helps.

I think I did this myself and then wrote up the description out of
order because I thought it made more logical sense. Hopefully this
does it for you.

Tom
C4164bf481aa95c817f00345b58afb76?d=identicon&s=25 Tom M. (tom_m70)
Hi Tom,

That fixed PyQwt. Then did a cmake, make, sudo make install of all
gnuradio sucessfully.

When I try to run a flowgraph, the error in the GRC console window is:

Traceback (most recent call last):
 File "/home/tom/Desktop/top_block.py", line 16, in <module>
 import PyQt4.Qwt5 as Qwt
ImportError: No module named Qwt5

looking at the packages *qwt*

$ dpkg -l '*qwt*'
||/ Name Version Architecture Description
+++-==============-============-============-=================================
ii libqwt-dev 6.0.0-1.2 amd64 Qt widgets library for technical
rc libqwt5-qt4 5.2.3-1 amd64 Qt4 widgets library for technical
un libqwt5-qt4-de <none> (no description available)
ii libqwt6 6.0.0-1.2 amd64 Qt widgets library for technical
un libqwtplot3d-q <none> (no description available)
ii libqwtplot3d-q 0.2.7+svn191 amd64 3D plotting library based on Qt4/
ii libqwtplot3d-q 0.2.7+svn191 amd64 3D plotting library based on Qt4/
un python-qwt3d-q <none> (no description available)
un python-qwt5-qt <none> (no description available)

-- Tom

________________________________

On Thu, Nov 7, 2013 at 4:37 PM, Tom McDermott <tom.mcdermott4@yahoo.com>
wrote:
> ImportError: No module named Qwt5
> ii  libqwt-dev     6.0.0-1.2    amd64        Qt widgets library for
> Qt4/
> un  python-qwt3d-q <none>                    (no description available)
> un  python-qwt5-qt <none>                    (no description available)
>

> -- Tom

When you installed PyQWT, you should have configured it using:

./configure.py -Q ../qwt-5.2
--module-install-path=/opt/qt/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/PyQt4/Qwt5

That '--module-install-path' is where the Qwt module would be
installed in to. So make sure that that directory structure is
correct. Then, you have to make sure your PYTHONPATH is set correctly.
In my instructions, I install everything into /opt/qt. I then make
sure that the PYTHONPATH variable is appended with this directory.
That should make sure that Python looks there first for PyQt4.Qwt5.

So just verify that the Qwt Python module is installed and that
PYTHONPATH is set in your environment.

Tom

Hi Tom,

The /opt/qt/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/PyQt4/Qwt5 directory exists, and
has the built modules.

I think the PYTHONPATH is set per your instructions.

$ export -p:

declare -x MANDATORY_PATH="/usr/share/gconf/ubuntu.mandatory.path"
declare -x OLDPWD
declare -x
PATH="/opt/qt/bin:/usr/lib/lightdm/lightdm:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/games:/usr/local/games"
declare -x PKG_CONFIG_PATH="/opt/qt/lib/pkgconfig:"
declare -x PWD="/home/tom"
declare -x PYTHONPATH="/opt/qt/lib/python2.7/dist-packages:"
declare -x QT4_IM_MODULE="xim"
declare -x SESSIONTYPE="gnome-session"
declare -x SHELL="/bin/bash"

-- Tom

________________________________
> ii libqwt-dev   6.0.0-1.2  amd64    Qt widgets library for
> Qt4/
> un python-qwt3d-q <none>          (no description available)
> un python-qwt5-qt <none>          (no description available)
>

> -- Tom

When you installed PyQWT, you should have configured it using:

./configure.py -Q ../qwt-5.2
--module-install-path=/opt/qt/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/PyQt4/Qwt5

That '--module-install-path' is where the Qwt module would be
installed in to. So make sure that that directory structure is
correct. Then, you have to make sure your PYTHONPATH is set correctly.
In my instructions, I install everything into /opt/qt. I then make
sure that the PYTHONPATH variable is appended with this directory.
That should make sure that Python looks there first for PyQt4.Qwt5.

So just verify that the Qwt Python module is installed and that
PYTHONPATH is set in your environment.

Tom

Hi Tom, thanks again for all your help.

It runs from a terminal OK.
The missing Qwt5 error comes when trying to run it from GRC.

-- Tom

________________________________
> ii libqwt-dev   6.0.0-1.2  amd64    Qt widgets library for
> Qt4/
> un python-qwt3d-q <none>          (no description available)
> un python-qwt5-qt <none>          (no description available)
>

> -- Tom

When you installed PyQWT, you should have configured it using:

./configure.py -Q ../qwt-5.2
--module-install-path=/opt/qt/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/PyQt4/Qwt5

That '--module-install-path' is where the Qwt module would be
installed in to. So make sure that that directory structure is
correct. Then, you have to make sure your PYTHONPATH is set correctly.
In my instructions, I install everything into /opt/qt. I then make
sure that the PYTHONPATH variable is appended with this directory.
That should make sure that Python looks there first for PyQt4.Qwt5.

So just verify that the Qwt Python module is installed and that
PYTHONPATH is set in your environment.

Tom

> Hi Tom,  thanks again for all your help.
>
> It runs from a terminal OK.
> The missing Qwt5 error comes when trying to run it from GRC.
>
> -- Tom

Ok, that's good news. It's likely that the problem is just in how you
are launching GRC that must not be getting the PYTHONPATH variable set
properly. Are you running gnuradio-companion from the terminal where
you've set the env variable? Out of years of habit, that's how I
always bring up GRC.

Tom
C4164bf481aa95c817f00345b58afb76?d=identicon&s=25 Tom M. (tom_m70)
Hi Tom,

It runs under GRC when GRC is launched from a terminal but not when
launched from the desktop. So it'snot getting the modified PYTHONPATH
from gnome-session. Looked forgnuradio-companion.desktop file to place a
PYTHONPATH, but couldn't find it.

Ultimatelyadded ppa:borg/ppa to the PPA list and pulled the latest build
from there. That of course resolves all cases.

Many thanks for your considerablehelp on this! Ubuntu 13.04 seems to be
gone from the Canonical site,so 13.10 was the only practical solution at
this time.

-- Tom