Forum: Ruby on Rails Rails book

C7e7db8ac79cf8ebc7dbf2a43b3ff472?d=identicon&s=25 Julien Itard (Guest)
Hi there,
i'm a new RoR developer and i need your feedback about this book :
http://pragprog.com/book/rails4/agile-web-developm...

Is it good for learning Rails ? I mean, i already read Michael Hartl
tutorial. Is it useful to me to buy this book ? Are there other good
books
about Rails 4 ?

thx guys !

p.s: sorry for my english, i'm french x)
Fde839db701c9efdfb1b30823b9a2cc8?d=identicon&s=25 Robert O'Connor (Guest)
Anything from that publisher is bound to be good :)

--rob
Sent from my cell...excuse typos
On Oct 22, 2013, at 2:40 PM, Julien Itard <julienitard@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi there,
> i'm a new RoR developer and i need your feedback about this book
:http://pragprog.com/book/rails4/agile-web-developm...

> Is it good for learning Rails ? I mean, i already read Michael Hartl tutorial.
Is it useful to me to buy this book ? Are there other good books about Rails 4 ?

> thx guys !
>
> p.s: sorry for my english, i'm french x)

Salt et bienvenu!

I would say it's a good book  my experience is with the first edition
(Rails 1!! OMG) but DHH does present some good ideas. It's contender
isn't finished yet, but is available as a review edition: Rails 4 In
Action from Manning Pub (Ryan Bigg, Yehuda Katz, Steve Klabnick  all
real masters with opinions that differ a bit from DHH's). The previous,
Rails 3 In Action, is really excellent, and the new edition is quite
good (still needs some edits, though).

However, If you've gone through Hartl's tutorial and still wanting more,
both of the above cover a lot of the same ground, but from different
points of view. That's not a bad thing, but might not be what you want.

My next course of action would be to start developing some simple Rails
applications, then study the Rails's guides at
http://guides.rubyonrails.org (and look at
http://edgeguides.rubyonrails.org as well  they represent the latest
edits) and to start looking at the API docs, rather than delve into
another book, but that's the way I approach things.

Another thing is that learning Rails, one should have a good grasp of
how Ruby works. If that's not the case (I can't tell, just a
possibility), I'd suggest Ruby for Rails  which focuses on the Ruby
aspects that are necessary to understand how Rails works. It's a bit
dated, but still good. And of course, the updated Pickaxe book: Ruby
Programming, 19 and 2.0 edition from pragprog.

Bonne chance!
C7e7db8ac79cf8ebc7dbf2a43b3ff472?d=identicon&s=25 Julien Itard (Guest)
Thx ! I'll check it

Le mercredi 23 octobre 2013 18:50:09 UTC+2, tamouse a crit :
Existing account

No account? Register here.