Forum: Ruby on Rails What is your favourite authentication gem and why?

Bcdd9f5447f1a3f18cefdb8c3f6b4dab?d=identicon&s=25 desbest (Guest)
What is your favourite authentication gem and why?
Right now I have 4 to choose from (Cancan, Clearance, Rails
Cast<http://railscasts.com/episodes/250-authentication-...)
and I don't know which one to pick.
I cannot use Device because I'm a beginner at Rails.
A47e0a6beeb9d048ff054fc1c3a97418?d=identicon&s=25 Walter Davis (walterdavis)
CanCan is an Authorization solution, not an Authentication solution.
Devise is Authentication only, and relies on CanCan or another
Authorization framework to do that part of the job. Apples and Oranges,
I'm afraid.

Walter
Bcdd9f5447f1a3f18cefdb8c3f6b4dab?d=identicon&s=25 tynamite (Guest)
What's the difference between an Authentication and Authorisation
solution?
From what I understand, I can use a column in the users table called
*level*,
and have number *5 *be an admin like if user.level == 5
A47e0a6beeb9d048ff054fc1c3a97418?d=identicon&s=25 Walter Davis (walterdavis)
Authentication is "are you who you say you are". It establishes a
session with the browser, and uses a login to check credentials before
allowing that session to see anything you've protected from public view.
Authorization uses a method like you describe, which allows certain
_authenticated_ people to do certain things. You can't have
authorization without authentication -- they build on one another. But
they solve different problems than one another.

Walter
98907a1cdf8a6748cb044a1605db10bc?d=identicon&s=25 Lei Zhao (Guest)
If you are trying to learn Rails and creating your first app with
authentication, I think it's a good idea to build it from scratch so you
have a better understanding about what is going on under the hood.

After you have mastered it and/or just want to build your app quickly
with standard authentication features, use Devise to save some time.

Lei

On Mon, Oct 21, 2013 at 11:34 AM, desbest <afaninthehouse@gmail.com>
Bcdd9f5447f1a3f18cefdb8c3f6b4dab?d=identicon&s=25 tynamite (Guest)
I've decided to use the authentication system from the Ramaze ruby
framework, as it's the most simplest. I'll let you know how it goes.
On 21 October 2013 17:34, desbest <afaninthehouse@gmail.com> wrote:
> What is your favourite authentication gem and why?
> Right now I have 4 to choose from (Cancan, Clearance, Rails Cast) and I
> don't know which one to pick.
> I cannot use Device because I'm a beginner at Rails.

If you are so much a beginner that Devise is too complex to understand
then first you need to work right through a good tutorial such as
railstutorial.org, which is free to use online.

Colin
Bcdd9f5447f1a3f18cefdb8c3f6b4dab?d=identicon&s=25 tynamite (Guest)
I'm currently using Rails Tutorial, but there's a mistake in the book
(which I emailed Michael to be corrected) so now I'm stuck and cannot go
any further.
On 21 October 2013 18:13, tynamite <afaninthehouse@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm currently using Rails Tutorial, but there's a mistake in the book (which
> I emailed Michael to be corrected) so now I'm stuck and cannot go any
> further.

Explain the problem here, probably someone will be able to help.
Start a new thread though so it does not appear under this subject
line.

Colin
Existing account

No account? Register here.