Forum: Ruby I Love Ruby 2014 Beta edition download

E5bb65e5a701060706365b4f771dcc8f?d=identicon&s=25 Karthikeyan A K (mindaslab)
on 2013-10-19 14:30
Hello Folks,

Am writing 2014 Edition of my free(dom) ruby book "I Love Ruby" . get it

If I have time, I will include meta programming soon.
C993c6aaffc6cf7b477a5075099e1d36?d=identicon&s=25 Peter Hickman (Guest)
This needs tons of work.

Ruby is generally installed by default on Linux systems (or at least any
modern system)
There are more versions of Linux than Ubuntu (thus there are other
managers other than apt-get)
Ruby is installed by default on OSX installing a new version might cause
RVM works on OSX so if it is important you should have given
on how to install it there too
Same goes for Windows (RVM can be installed if you install Cygwin)
There are other IDEs than Geany and Geany can be installed on Windows

Basically if you don't know anything about something then perhaps you
should not be writing about it. For example installing Ruby on Windows
"checkout this video (well I
haven't watched thios video and I am not sure about it)", basically you
found a link and haven't the faintest idea if it is any good and
be bothered to even watch it but who cares - certainly not you. It is
helpful to someone wanting to learn Ruby to be given instructions that
author has put no effort into.

Another example being "Okay, so whats the difference between Proc and
Lambda. I read somewhere that there are two main differences between
here is one, the other one I forgot. If you happen to know please mail
to" Perhaps you could have spent sometime
this issue before writing that section. By, perhaps, asking a question
this list :)

Why do you mention twitter as an online resource for someone learning
but fail to mention this mailing list or the tons of links to beginners
tutorials that have been posted in this list? Or the online API

What about all the books that have been written about Ruby?

When you show a shebang line (which is rarely - inconsistency is no help
a beginner) you have one that will not work with RVM. For example on
71 we have #!/usr/bin/ruby which completely bypasses RVM. The better
shebang would be "#!/usr/bin/env ruby" which works with RVM and a normal
Ruby installation.

Was there even a section on how to run a Ruby program? Oh yes there it
on page 122, nearly two thirds of the way into a book after asking the
reader to run programs for over 100 pages. Perhaps how to run Ruby
on Windows would help too.

What is the first paragraph on Inheritance about (page 88)? "We evolved
from monkeys. Chimps look like us" leading to the first man in space.
How is knowledge of human evolution, which is a much misunderstood
going to help someone understand the term as used in computer
that has little in common with it. For example if our (human, chimp and
gorilla) common ancestor (homininea or homonini if we exclude gorillas)
were to evolve the ability to see in dark we would not suddenly gain
ability. But a subclass in a computer program will inherit any new
that its parent gains.

class A
  def sing
    puts "I can sing"

class B < A
  def dance
    puts "I can dance"

b =

rescue Exception => e
  puts "Sorry can't do that"

# Add a new method to the parent class

class A
  def laugh
    puts "Ha ha ha"

puts "Try again"
# and we can suddenly use it in the subclass

I can sing
I can dance
Sorry can't do that
Try again
I can sing
I can dance
Ha ha ha

Biological evolution does not work this way so any assumption that the
reader makes about inheritance in computer programs from their
understanding of biological inheritance will lead them astray. Just how
this leads us to the first man in space is beyond me.

On page 155 as an explanation for why running:

def calling_proc
  puts "Started calling_proc"
  some_proc = { return "In Proc" }
  puts "In calling_proc function"

does not produce the expected output is incorrect "When a proc is called
a function, and it has a return statement, it terminates that function
returns the value of the return as though the function itself is
it!" If you remove the return from the Proc (just leaving { "In
Proc" }) it will also not work. The return statement is not important,
implied return will also break it. Only{} will continue to the
of the function with the following output.

Started calling_proc
In calling_proc function

An explanation as to why would be enlightening.

Teaching is a skill distinct from programming. Just because you can
does not mean that you can teach.

You should ...
1) remove all references to Windows and OSX and just call the book "I
Ruby - Ubuntu Edition" if you cannot be bothered to put the effort in
2) fix the English
3) place the "How to run a program" sooner
4) get an editor
5) be consistent and stay focused
E5bb65e5a701060706365b4f771dcc8f?d=identicon&s=25 Karthikeyan A K (mindaslab)
on 2013-10-20 08:19
ya thanks 4 the feedback. will read it soon. its quiet boring to read
all the stuff u have posted, but will read it and do changes

hope you will send feedback when I put op another release soon.
On Oct 20, 2013, at 1:19 AM, Karthikeyan A K <>

> ya thanks 4 the feedback. will read it soon. its quiet boring to read
> all the stuff u have posted, but will read it and do changes
> accordingly.
> hope you will send feedback when I put op another release soon.

Telling someone their solicited feedback is boring to read is probably
not the way to get help in the future. Just saying.
E5bb65e5a701060706365b4f771dcc8f?d=identicon&s=25 Karthikeyan A K (mindaslab)
on 2013-10-21 03:24
I could only see 1 real issue when I read that post. Looked as though
the person just want to give me an advice than do any real thing.
C993c6aaffc6cf7b477a5075099e1d36?d=identicon&s=25 Peter Hickman (Guest)
I'm curious which did you see as the real issue then?

The worse than useless Windows information? or
The inconsistent coverage of RVM? or
The fact you couldn't be bothered to investigate the differences between
Proc and lambda? or
The shebang lines that do not work with RVM? or
The placing of the "how to run a program" section? or
The confusing analogy of biological inheritance with programming

Well fixing any one of these will improve the project overall but
pretending that the rest are not issues makes me wonder if you ready
to produce a document for people to learn Ruby from or is this the
equivalent of vanity publishing.

Sorry to have bored you by reviewing your work. You obviously have
things to be doing.

So do I.
E5bb65e5a701060706365b4f771dcc8f?d=identicon&s=25 Karthikeyan A K (mindaslab)
on 2013-10-22 05:02
the shebang is a good thing. and posibly the pro  abd lambda. ya I am
writing this book and I am working. so things will be slow. it wil l b
gr8 if u can review the next iteration too.

4 some personal reasons I don't respect osx and windows. noflame wars

thnx a lot.
15000f55138ae94b0f362ed7c625461a?d=identicon&s=25 unknown (Guest)
Am 20.10.2013 08:19, schrieb Karthikeyan A K:
> ya thanks 4 the feedback. will read it soon. its quiet boring to read
> all the stuff u have posted, but will read it and do changes
> accordingly.
> hope you will send feedback when I put op another release soon.

I wouldn't even consider reading a book of someone that shows
so much disinterest in well founded advice and so much rudeness
against someone who surely took a considerable amount of time
to browse through your "beta edition" and write a very thorough

I can't believe that at the same time you are asking for even
more "boring" feedback...

3df767279ce7d81db0a5bb30f5136863?d=identicon&s=25 Matthew Kerwin (mattyk)
on 2013-10-22 07:45
unknown wrote in post #1125136:
> I can't believe that at the same time you are asking for even
> more "boring" feedback...

Well obviously next time the feedback shouldn't be so boring, and should
contain less advice (rather, more instruction to do any real thing).
Af8be8a9d05166bb5d051c4a5c882b16?d=identicon&s=25 Gerente L. (gerente_l)
Existing account

No account? Register here.