Forum: Ruby on Rails .exe creation

719d575cfef1f7532b9eff155ecccda9?d=identicon&s=25 rohini kambde (rohini)
on 2013-10-19 09:20
Hi ,

  i am trying to create a .exe for my application  using rubyscript2exe.
and it is showing following error  when i run the command
 ruby rubyscript2exe.rb application.rb .

Tracing intello erp ...
intello erp.rb doesn't contain an init.rb .
Gathering files...
Copying files...
Stripping...
Creating intello erp_linux ...
EEE: Couldn't open: "intello"
/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/ftools.rb:59:in `stat': No such file or directory -
/tmp/oldandnewlocation.7083/intello erp_linux (Errno::ENOENT)
  from /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/ftools.rb:59:in `syscopy'
  from /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/ftools.rb:89:in `copy'
  from /tmp/tar2rubyscript.d.7083.1/rubyscript2exe/init.rb:413
  from rubyscript2exe.rb:610:in `load'
  from rubyscript2exe.rb:610
  from rubyscript2exe.rb:559:in `newlocation'
  from rubyscript2exe.rb:487:in `newlocation'
  from rubyscript2exe.rb:454:in `newlocation'
  from rubyscript2exe.rb:487:in `newlocation'
  from rubyscript2exe.rb:559:in `newlocation'
  from rubyscript2exe.rb:603

Please help me out in solving this problem .
thanks for your reply .
1a4ff0766a653c62e0dab34bacda9873?d=identicon&s=25 Norbert Melzer (Guest)
I would consider rubyscript2exe dead. According to
http://rubygems.org/gems/rubyscript2exe the last release is over 6 years
old. The official docs say it is tested with Ruby 1.8.2 which is not
maintained any more for about a year now and it says it is tested with
rubygems 0.8, woody is very old, IIRC we have 1.5 as current rubygems.

Also in the projects documentation it is said that rubyscript2exe were
GPL,
but I couldn't find the source code anywhere, it is not linked from the
docs nor from rubygems.org.

If you really need a standalone executable I would really suggest to us
language that is meant to create one, like c or c++.

Also I really don't see much sense in exefying a trails application.

Probably you are just searching for a good way to depot and totally got
it
wrong?

Please explain why you want to have a standalone rails executable and we
can probably tell you a better way to achieve a similar goal.
Am 19.10.2013 09:20 schrieb "rohini kambde" <lists@ruby-forum.com>:
A59916fc62010cb96b9d486397a413ee?d=identicon&s=25 Drfrog (Guest)
I've had great success using ocra
http://ocra.rubyforge.org/

the nice thing about it is you can tie it to an innosetup script and
generate a windows installer w wizard etc, along w all those niceties
such as being able to add tasks to the windows scheduler etc

Cphone
1a4ff0766a653c62e0dab34bacda9873?d=identicon&s=25 Norbert Melzer (Guest)
Ocra is windows only,but the OP uses a *nix. So ocra isn't a help.
Am 19.10.2013 20:45 schrieb "Drfrog" <drfrog666@gmail.com>:
A59916fc62010cb96b9d486397a413ee?d=identicon&s=25 Drfrog (Guest)
well then neither is creating a .exe :/

Cphone
719d575cfef1f7532b9eff155ecccda9?d=identicon&s=25 rohini kambde (rohini)
on 2013-10-21 07:32
Thank you for reply folks .

why i want to have a standalone  rails executable is , i just want my
clients to feel easy to run the project , if we give it as a one click
installer, it would be easier for them to use the application .This is
the main reason behind creating a . EXE for rails .

     And can't we create a .EXE in Ubuntu OS using the above mentioned
gems ?i.e., rubyscript2exe .

   please tell me how can i create a .EXE for my application in Ubuntu .
A59916fc62010cb96b9d486397a413ee?d=identicon&s=25 Drfrog (Guest)
you can't create exe for Ubuntu

exe are windows ONLY

you may want to look at deb pkg creation

or maybe a ruby gem
depending on your needs

Cphone
719d575cfef1f7532b9eff155ecccda9?d=identicon&s=25 rohini kambde (rohini)
on 2013-10-21 10:58
Okay ,so we should try creating a .exe in windows only i guess.

then would you please provide me the right way of steps to be followed
to create .exe in windows .

 or suggest me how to create a executable for my application in Ubuntu.?
On Monday, 21 October 2013 04:58:19 UTC-4, Ruby-Forum.com User wrote:

> Okay ,so we should try creating a .exe in windows only i guess.
>
> then would you please provide me the right way of steps to be followed
> to create .exe in windows .
>
>  or suggest me how to create a executable for my application in Ubuntu.?

You won't find much information about this because it's a really
uncommon
way of deploying a Rails application.

Nearly all Rails apps are deployed to a server and then accessed over
the
network - even if you *had* a self-contained .exe you'd need to launch
it
and then visit the application in your browser.

Can you clarify exactly what the intent is for the "one-click
installer"?

--Matt Jones
Existing account

No account? Register here.