Forum: Ruby on Rails Newbie - Installation Problems

Fcd2b2ca6e9b8c75069a291665869ab9?d=identicon&s=25 Natmanu (Guest)

If im in the wrong place please redirect me:

I have decided that i'm goignt o jump inand learn rails the hard way. I
know I have to go through the initial learnign curve.  One of them is to
know where to go when you get stuck..  so here goes...

I'm installing on Windows 7. using guide:
http://guides.rubyonrails.org/getting_started.html

Ruby version:1.9.3p392
Rails version:3.2.13

the note on the instructions at:
4.3 Setting the Application Home Page
says:

root to: "welcome#index"

I've un-commented it the routes.rb and saves the file. But now I can not
open the page.

I get  error:  Oops! Google Chrome could not connect to localhost:3000

Do i need to reboot routes.rb or server or something? It does not seem
obey the command in routes.rb or the path is wrong! I've check the
directories and the file is there.

Nat
On 17 October 2013 13:46, Natmanu <natmanu@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> If im in the wrong place please redirect me:
>
> I have decided that i'm goignt o jump inand learn rails the hard way. I know
> I have to go through the initial learnign curve.  One of them is to know
> where to go when you get stuck..  so here goes...
>
> I'm installing on Windows 7. using guide:

Well you certainly are going about it the hard way.  Rails is
generatlly easier on Linux (eg Ubuntu) or Mac.  In particular you will
find it easier to get help as most developers use Linux or Mac.

> http://guides.rubyonrails.org/getting_started.html

Rather than starting there I suggest a tutorial such as
railstutorial.org (which is free to use online).  That will guide you
through the steps in rather more detail than the guide, I believe.

> I've un-commented it the routes.rb and saves the file. But now I can not
> open the page.
>
> I get  error:  Oops! Google Chrome could not connect to localhost:3000
>
> Do i need to reboot routes.rb or server or something? It does not seem to
> obey the command in routes.rb or the path is wrong! I've check the
> directories and the file is there.

You need to restart the server after changing the routes.rb.  You did
not mention that you have started the server, but I presume you have.
(rails server is the command).

Colin
D3f0122f1f55c7292aa316755fa8380c?d=identicon&s=25 sanjee (Guest)
You needs to understand that what ever you typed in url field specific
rails application is mapped to that routes.rb files (and routes.rb file
manages how your request is going to be processed )
if you delete the content of it ..you have the specification how to
handle
the request in rails app.
Fcd2b2ca6e9b8c75069a291665869ab9?d=identicon&s=25 Natmanu (Guest)
Thanks for the advice guys.

Problem is that im sittign on a very good laptop. Do I really need to
buy a
mac or unix to develop in ROR???  Is it that much different on
Windows???

Nat
On 18 October 2013 15:09, Natmanu <natmanu@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the advice guys.
>
> Problem is that im sittign on a very good laptop. Do I really need to buy a
> mac or unix to develop in ROR???  Is it that much different on Windows???

No you don't need another computer to run a linux distribution such as
Ubuntu.  You can run Ubuntu in a virtual machine inside Windows
(VMWare or VirtualBox for example) or you can do what I do which is
install Ubuntu alongside Windows in a separate partition so that you
select at boot time which one to use.  I did that a few years ago and
now find myself very rarely using Windows (just to interface with some
usb devises hardware that only have windows drivers).  It is great to
feel back in control of the machine again.  And the Ubuntu community
is great if you have a problem (eg
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users).

Colin
98907a1cdf8a6748cb044a1605db10bc?d=identicon&s=25 Lei Zhao (Guest)
Hi Nat,

I believe you can do Rails on Windows, but you may face more problems
and get less help. And yes, it is quite different. Mac and Linux are
based on Unix so they work in the same way, but Windows is totally
different.

Linux is free so good news is you don't need to buy anything. Bad news
is, however, if you are not comfortable with command line, there will be
a learning curve.

Lei
Existing account

No account? Register here.