Forum: NGINX How to ensure good performance for the first X number of visitors

324e73fd59bd4a78e0e4214cc0c09a25?d=identicon&s=25 Andrew Galdes (Guest)
Hi all,

I'm looking for some guidance with Nginx. We have inherited a web-server
that experiences heavy load. The server is running: Ubuntu Server 12.4,
24
Cores, 50~GB RAM.

The CPU usage during peak time is 100%. Memory is about 50%.

The client has asked that we configure Nginx to give the best user
experience for the first X number of visitors while the others are
503'd.
So a visitor to the website can experience good usage from start to
purchase (it's a commerce site). While others who visit (over a
threshold)
would get 503 errors. This would ensure that, if you can get in, your
experience would be nice. If you can't, 503 and try again later.

I see there are some modules that can do this with a recompile but we'd
rather not go down that path at this stage. Given that http is
session-less, i suppose cookies have been used to achieve this. Or based
on
IP address.

Any thoughts?

--
-Andrew Galdes
Managing Director

RHCSA, LPI, CCENT

AGIX Linux

Ph: 08 7324 4429
Mb: 0422 927 598

Site: http://www.agix.com.au
Twitter: http://twitter.com/agixlinux
LinkedIn: http://au.linkedin.com/in/andrewgaldes
671d9faabfe3d3382be736b93fbfa1d5?d=identicon&s=25 Steve Holdoway (Guest)
On 08/10/13 21:35, Andrew Galdes wrote:
> 503'd. So a visitor to the website can experience good usage from
> Any thoughts?
> Ph: 08 7324 4429
> nginx@nginx.org
Hi Andrew,

I seem to be doing exactly this for a living at the moment ( especially
Magento installs ), and not that many timezones away. If you want to
drop me a line offlist, please do!

Steve
1266aa99d1601b47bbd3ec22affbb81c?d=identicon&s=25 B.R. (Guest)
Hello,

I would take a look at this module:
http://nginx.org/en/docs/http/ngx_http_limit_conn_...

Official modules are available through the pre-compiled official
binaries,
you won't need to do that by hand.
---
*B. R.*