Forum: Ruby on Rails Best Book 4 RoR

B9a7426c827c69d448dd78b25bc3b4aa?d=identicon&s=25 Adrian Garrigos (Guest)
Hello,

Is there a great book for Ror. I am looking for a book with a step by
step
approch and by PROJECTS!!
RoR needs to be 'practiced', and i didn't find those WORKING PROJECTS.

Am i dreaming or is this paper exists. All the books on amazon are not
amazING. They talks only about
theory. Theory is fine, i mean this is RoR. But then...

Thanks for those who, first, intend to read my poor english and thks
VMuch
for those who takes time to reply...
Ec2c1a36301b0223c3e281bd2ec3f37a?d=identicon&s=25 Dave Aronson (Guest)
On Fri, Oct 4, 2013 at 1:24 PM, Adrian Garrigos <fernetbianca@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Is there a great book for Ror.

Yes.  Michael Hartl's "Rails Tutorial" is generally considered a great
book, not only for RoR but also more than enough Ruby to really
understand it, plus good habits like testing (and tools to do it
with).  Best of all, it's free to use online!  If you like hardcopy or
ebooks you can get it that way too.  See
http://ruby.railstutorial.org/ for more info.

> I am looking for a book with a step by step
> approch and by PROJECTS!!

Rails Tutorial walks you through a fairly complete project.  Other
than that, though, "scratch your itch".  Can you think of a relatively
simple web-app that you wish existed?  Maybe something similar to
something that already exists, but with some feature added or change?
Create it!  To paraphrase Gandhi, write the app you wish to see in the
world.  :-)

-Dave

--
Dave Aronson, the T. Rex of Codosaurus LLC,
secret-cleared freelance software developer

http://objectsonrails.com/ this book is realy awesome!!!

others good books are:
http://pragprog.com/book/warv/the-rails-view
and http://pragprog.com/book/jvrails2/crafting-rails-4...,
this
book is beign written for a rails core member

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/rubyonrails-talk...
> .

Edivan Camargo

http://www.edivancamargo.com.br

*"No importa o que voc , o que voc tem, ou de onde . Seja voc mesmo!
Sempre.
**O Homem  do tamanho do seu sonho."*
On Oct 4, 2013, at 12:24 PM, Adrian Garrigos <fernetbianca@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Is there a great book for Ror. I am looking for a book with a step by step
approch and by PROJECTS!!
> RoR needs to be 'practiced', and i didn't find those WORKING PROJECTS.
>
> Am i dreaming or is this paper exists. All the books on amazon are not amazING.
They talks only about
> theory. Theory is fine, i mean this is RoR. But then...
>
> Thanks for those who, first, intend to read my poor english and thks VMuch for
those who takes time to reply...

I'll toss in my current fave: Rails 4 in Action, although it is still
being worked on and there is some ways to go with it. It's available as
a review ebook at Manning.com. The previous edition, Rails 3 in Action
is really quite good.

The alternative book seems to be Agile Web Development with Rails 4,
from Pragmatic Programmers. I only used the very first edition of this
book to learn Rails (in the 1.x time frame). The book at that time was
pretty good for my needs, with a step-wise walkthrough developing an
application.

Hartl's book and online tutorial are often given as recommendations; I
cannot comment on them as I haven't looked at them at all, but it is the
most common go-to.

But perhaps your search is actually for something more than can be
delivered in a text book. If you want to look, railsapps.github.io has a
whole lot of example real-life rails applications that you can dissect
and discover how problems are solved. There aren't that many pure Rails
4 apps yet, but learning from the Rails 3.2 and earlier apps can also be
quite helpful.
A47e0a6beeb9d048ff054fc1c3a97418?d=identicon&s=25 Walter Davis (walterdavis)
On Oct 10, 2013, at 1:00 AM, Tamara Temple wrote:

> The alternative book seems to be Agile Web Development with Rails 4, from
Pragmatic Programmers. I only used the very first edition of this book to learn
Rails (in the 1.x time frame). The book at that time was pretty good for my
needs,
with a step-wise walkthrough developing an application.

I'll second this, and add that it's a very nice training-wheels
introduction to an agile workflow, too. Without getting too religious
about it, it introduces you to the concepts of taking small bites of the
apple, and building your features in a modular fashion.

Walter
Existing account

No account? Register here.