Forum: NGINX nginx.conf(5) man page

09ec37f8fba9d621f732550451dcb322?d=identicon&s=25 Florian Obser (Guest)
OpenBSD is working on replacing the (heavily patched) apache 1.3 in
base with nginx. During that work the question was raised if we can
have a nginx.conf(5) man page.
As a proof of concept I put a perl script together which scrapes the
pages on http://nginx.org/en/docs/ (below "Modules reference") and
generates a mdoc(7) file.
* what's the license of the documentation?
* is the documentation on http://nginx.org/en/docs/ generated from some
  sort of source file? Parsing the html works reasonably well but is not
  optimal.
* would there be interest to include a man page into the distribution
  once it's ready?
Thanks,
Florian
--
I'm not entirely sure you are real.
419b29425e1245886d653616ba381f00?d=identicon&s=25 Maxim Konovalov (Guest)

On 9/24/13 6:24 PM, Florian Obser wrote:
> Hi,
> OpenBSD is working on replacing the (heavily patched) apache 1.3 in
> base with nginx. During that work the question was raised if we can
> have a nginx.conf(5) man page.

Nice to hear.

> As a proof of concept I put a perl script together which scrapes the
> pages on http://nginx.org/en/docs/ (below "Modules reference") and
> generates a mdoc(7) file.
> * what's the license of the documentation?

It's under the same license as the whole nginx distribution:

http://nginx.org/LICENSE

> * is the documentation on http://nginx.org/en/docs/ generated from some
>   sort of source file? Parsing the html works reasonably well but is not
>   optimal.

It is generated from xml files.  The whole nginx.org repository is
public (see "Source Code" section):

http://nginx.org/en/download.html

Also, you can explore it online:

http://trac.nginx.org/nginx/browser/nginx_org

Please note that http://nginx.org/en/docs/ has documentation
for nginx f/oss and nginx-plus, our commercial product under
commercial license.

The features available in nginx-plus only have an appropriate note
in the documentation.

> * would there be interest to include a man page into the distribution
>   once it's ready?

I think it's a good idea while we manage to keep a single source for
both nginx.org docs and man page.

--
Maxim Konovalov
http://nginx.com

On Tue, Sep 24, 2013 at 06:35:32PM +0400, Maxim Konovalov wrote:

[...]

> > * would there be interest to include a man page into the distribution
> >   once it's ready?
>
> I think it's a good idea while we manage to keep a single source for
> both nginx.org docs and man page.

I actually don't think it's a good idea.  We intentionally
have the documentation separated from the source code - it allows
to do releases and documentation editing/updating separately (and
this happens often).  A separate distribution for a manpage might
be a better idea.

--
Maxim Dounin
http://nginx.org/en/donation.html
On 9/24/13 6:44 PM, Maxim Dounin wrote:
>> both nginx.org docs and man page.
>
> I actually don't think it's a good idea.  We intentionally
> have the documentation separated from the source code - it allows
> to do releases and documentation editing/updating separately (and
> this happens often).  A separate distribution for a manpage might
> be a better idea.

Ability to generate man page from xml files doesn't hurt.

--
Maxim Konovalov
http://nginx.com

On Tue, Sep 24, 2013 at 06:45:50PM +0400, Maxim Konovalov wrote:

> >> I think it's a good idea while we manage to keep a single source for
> >> both nginx.org docs and man page.
> >
> > I actually don't think it's a good idea.  We intentionally
> > have the documentation separated from the source code - it allows
> > to do releases and documentation editing/updating separately (and
> > this happens often).  A separate distribution for a manpage might
> > be a better idea.
> >
> Ability to generate man page from xml files doesn't hurt.

Sure, as part of the nginx.org repository.  But I believe the
original question was about including the resulting nginx.conf(5)
manpage into nginx distribution, which intentionally doesn't
include documentation (except minimal nginx(8) manpage).

--
Maxim Dounin
http://nginx.org/en/donation.html
Existing account