Forum: NGINX Root inside Location Block? Pitfalls says NO, Beginner’s Guide says YES

2974d09ac2541e892966b762aad84943?d=identicon&s=25 chrisrob (Guest)
Practically the first two pages I read when starting with nginx were:

http://wiki.nginx.org/Pitfalls

which says "putting Root inside Location Block is BAD" - don't do it.

and

http://nginx.org/en/docs/beginners_guide.html

which gives this as its example of a config file:

The resulting configuration of the server block should look like this:

server {
    location / {
        root /data/www;
    }
    location /images/ {
        root /data;
    }
}

So I'm wondering which is right?

Cheers,
chrisrob

Posted at Nginx Forum:
Hello!

On Thu, Sep 19, 2013 at 06:57:35AM -0400, chrisrob wrote:

> which gives this as its example of a config file:
> }
>
> So I'm wondering which is right?

As you can see, the example in begginners guide uses _different_
roots for locations configured, and hence it's very different from
the example provided at Pitfalls wiki page.

Using the "root" directive inside a location block isn't bad per
se.  It's bad if you repeat it needlessly instead of using single
root inside a server{} block.

--
Maxim Dounin
http://nginx.org/en/donation.html

That's pretty obvious I suppose - providing that a root at Server