Forum: GNU Radio Gnuradio-Companion Documentation.

Fd1f8185374d1d555ff52c5b7995e695?d=identicon&s=25 Kevin (Guest)
Morning,

from the site,
http://gnuradio.org/redmine/projects/gnuradio/wiki...
There is the section,
Can anybody tell me how to install it and which folder I should be at?

Thanks

Installing Documentation

To view the blocks' documentation from inside GRC, install doxygen and
configure gnuradio with doxygen support:

./configure --enable-doxygen
make
sudo make install
E05cb2979b45c939ef802ebd4684d402?d=identicon&s=25 M Dammer (Guest)
Kevin, are you building gnuradio via PyBombs ? In this case you must
have doxygen installed on your system. Then you have to edit the build
recipe for gnuradio to enable doxygen:
open the file gnuradio.lwr in your pybombs/recipes folder.
in the line starting with var config_opt change -DENABLE_DOXYGEN=OFF to
-DENABLE_DOXYGEN=ON
then do start the gnuradio build:
./pybombs install gnuradio        -this will do a complete rebuild
including fetching from git
./pybombs rb gnuradio              -this command just rebuilds gnuradio
(with docs) without refetching (much faster)
Fd1f8185374d1d555ff52c5b7995e695?d=identicon&s=25 Kevin (Guest)
Hello,

I built Gnuradio using

$ wget http://www.sbrac.org/files/build-gnuradio && chmod a+x
./build-gnuradio && ./build-gnuradio

Which means I don't need to worry about this?

./configure --enable-doxygen
make
sudo make install
On Wed, Sep 18, 2013 at 3:13 PM, Kevin <jplscanner@gmail.com> wrote:
> make
> sudo make install

Yeah, Kevin, that information is old (pre cmake). You probably already
have the documentation installed (look for
/usr/local/share/doc/gnuradio-3.X/, which could also just be under
/usr, wherever build-gnuradio sets the prefix to).

Building the Doxygen manual is enabled by default as long as you have
doxygen installed on your system. You can also get access to the
documentation for any version (and the weekly builds) here:

http://gnuradio.org/redmine/projects/gnuradio/wiki/Old-docs

--
Tom
Visit us at GRCon13 Oct. 1 - 4

So those documentation will be shown when I click block > Properties ?
That's the description below "Documentation" section?

Sincerely,
On Wed, Sep 18, 2013 at 3:48 PM, M Dammer <info@mdammer.net> wrote:
> May I then suggest to enable the docs in the pybombs recipe by default
> as well ?

You may suggest.

Sorry for being glib. I also think it's a good idea to enable the
documentation by default. If Tim agrees and there wasn't a technical
reason why it was turned off in the first place, I think we can change
it.

--
Tom
Visit us at GRCon13 Oct. 1 - 4
http://www.trondeau.com/grcon13
24bfeba02a47174102eecc303a89bce2?d=identicon&s=25 Tim (Guest)
Docs can take a long time to build, so when doing multiple builds a day
during testing you really don't want to have this turned on.   Likewise
if you are building on slow machine or an older machine without
sufficient doxygen.   But obviously they are valuable for users doing
their primary build who want to use the docs.

I'm thinking it might make sense to just prompt the user when pybombs
sets up its environment and asks for things like the prefix directory -
for it to also ask the user whether they want to build documentation in
general for all the recipes they will be building.

The main issues with this are,
1. there are not currently recipes for doxygen and it's dependencies -
those would need to be written and would pull in a bunch of latex, perl,
ghostscript, etc --
2. the dependencies for gnuradio need to change based on
enabling/disabling this feature - we don't have a good mechanism yet in
pybombs for turning deps on or off based on recipe "options", but we
could add something like this fairly easily

At the end of the day we do have a choice now between trying to keep
build configurations fairly static and simple (defined only by their
recipe set and guaranteed for repeatability - which is great for
performing repeatable testing, versioning, and packaging) or allowing it
to become a monolithic thing that has lots of different user prompted
states and options.   It's not clear that we can't achieve both - but we
would sacrifice a bit of conciseness and recipe simplicity to get there

-Tim
E05cb2979b45c939ef802ebd4684d402?d=identicon&s=25 M Dammer (Guest)
I just had the experience of how much the documentation build process
can slow down the build in general. So I think a flag that can be
set/unset during the pybombs configuration / reconfiguration process is
a good idea. And it would make it easier for new users who a: most
likely want documentation and b: do not want to edit recipes etc.

Mark
On Thu, Sep 19, 2013 at 10:45 AM, Tim <tim.oshea753@gmail.com> wrote:
> all the recipes they will be building.
> At the end of the day we do have a choice now between trying to keep build
> configurations fairly static and simple (defined only by their recipe set
> and guaranteed for repeatability - which is great for performing repeatable
> testing, versioning, and packaging) or allowing it to become a monolithic
> thing that has lots of different user prompted states and options.   It's
> not clear that we can't achieve both - but we would sacrifice a bit of
> conciseness and recipe simplicity to get there
>
> -Tim

At the least, we'll want to get a recipe for Doxygen, which is going
to entail a large number of dependencies, too, so it might take some
time to get all of those recipes right. At that point, it should be
easy enough to just edit gnuradio.lwr to turn on Doxygen for those who
really want it.

Also, remember that we host the documentation online, including many
of the past versions, the most recent released version, and the
current master updated weekly:

http://gnuradio.org/redmine/projects/gnuradio/wiki/Old-docs

And one of the GSoC projects going on this year was to make some
improvements to GRC, including access to the online manual
documentation for given blocks, so requiring them to be built locally
might not be as important once we get this work rolled in.

Tom
Existing account

No account? Register here.