Forum: Inkscape Check out the car I made

C9af522fc39d5de90f21119543c2b9ab?d=identicon&s=25 Steve Litt (Guest)
Hi all,

Check out the car I made with Inkscape:

http://www.a3b3.com/stuff/cardisplay1.svg

Thanks,

SteveT

21d65eff37893ba9593767bce0615165?d=identicon&s=25 Stan Field (Guest)
Nice job, Steve.
F812b5469f097cef62a67a629c465962?d=identicon&s=25 Arlo Barnes (arlo_b)
Congrats. I find Inkscape tutorial videos on
YouTube<https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=inksc...,
and cars seem to be a popular subject to render in SVG, especially
to teach shading.
-Arlo James Barnes <http://arlojamesbarnes.com>
F91fc0a43611147f2a559db40bda9083?d=identicon&s=25 Shlomi Fish (Guest)
Hi Steve,

On Sat, 31 Aug 2013 21:38:38 -0400
Steve Litt <slitt@troubleshooters.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Check out the car I made with Inkscape:
>
> http://www.a3b3.com/stuff/cardisplay1.svg

Nice work. It looks a bit unprofessional, but still pretty attractive
and well
beyond my current skills. Good job.

Regards,

  Shlomi Fish

> Thanks,
>
> SteveT

.
C9af522fc39d5de90f21119543c2b9ab?d=identicon&s=25 Steve Litt (Guest)
On Sun, 1 Sep 2013 08:10:28 +0300
Shlomi Fish <shlomif@shlomifish.org> wrote:

> Nice work. It looks a bit unprofessional, but still pretty attractive
> and well beyond my current skills. Good job.

Thanks Shlomi,

What would you say are the top three factors that make it look
unprofessional? I'm pretty unprofessional with visual images, but that
doesn't mean I can't learn :-)

Thanks,

SteveT
Ff7f055d016c0273792b89cb0f002a21?d=identicon&s=25 Felix E. Klee (Guest)
Hi Steve,

you wrote:
> What would you say are the top three factors that make it look
> unprofessional?

Not that I'm an expert either, especially not in Inkscape, just some
suggestions in general when creating vector graphics based on real
objects:

  * Use a high resolution photo, and put it in the background. That
    helps you get the proportions right. Instead of a photo, you may use
    a technical drawing or even a rendering you created with a 3D
    program.

  * Trace by hand, and try to limit the number of control points. That
    gives smoother curves. In your picture, curves are uneven, some look
    like drawn freehand (factor 1).

  * Use the color picker to get colors right. Use transitions, and try
    to simplify, working with gradients and transparency. Use the same
    level of detail throughout.

    In your picture colors don't match (factor 2) and level of detail is
    inconsistent (factor 3). For example, the side windows is flat blue,
    while the front window has a gradient but one which doesn't match.
    The side mirror looks nice and vivid, with a reflection.

HTH

- Felix
7f6f9e75239bfcc5bfb41014e9dc9a26?d=identicon&s=25 Martin Owens (Guest)
Pedantic moan:

On Sun, 2013-09-01 at 08:10 +0300, Shlomi Fish wrote:
> unprofessional

The quality of said performance is not indicated by the use of
'unprofessional'[1], there is a use for unprofessional to mean 'not
conducting one's behavior with respect needed in business' but that's
the administration of the skill, not the skill. Uploading jpegs is
unprofessional, get the proportions wrong is unskillful or
unrefined. ;-)

Martin,

[1]
Professional - Earns money from performing skill
Amateur - Performs skill for the respect / love / fun, without being
paid.
F812b5469f097cef62a67a629c465962?d=identicon&s=25 Arlo Barnes (arlo_b)
Martin, I would agree with you - sometimes an amateur does something
better
than a professional (after all, etymologically it means "someone who
loves
[to do something]"). In fact, one could argue that this is becoming more
the case as the threshold for entry into an area of interest is lowered
by
a potentially increased availability of information, such as in citizen
science. Regardless of whether one professes to make a trade one's job
or
merely one's occupation, though, it is necessary to hone skills and to
refine judgment of quality.

So anyway, I agree that gradients and shadows are important to making a
vector object seem physical (in this case, yes, those side windows could
use it).
-Arlo James Barnes
F91fc0a43611147f2a559db40bda9083?d=identicon&s=25 Shlomi Fish (Guest)
Hi Martin,

On Sun, 01 Sep 2013 11:34:38 -0400
Martin Owens <doctormo@gmail.com> wrote:

> unrefined. ;-)
>
> Martin,
>
> [1]
> Professional - Earns money from performing skill
> Amateur - Performs skill for the respect / love / fun, without being
> paid.

While I have been aware of that meaning of "amateur" (see
http://paulgraham.com/opensource.html ), that's not the meaning I used
there.
The meaning I used there was:

«
1. Of, pertaining to, or in accordance with the (usually high) standards
of a
profession.

3. (by extension) Expert.
»

(taken from: https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/professional#Adjective ).

Naturally, I didn't mean to imply that works done without getting paid
are
necessarily inferior to works which were done in exchange for payment.
By all
means, the two meanings of "professional" vs. "amateurs" are not fully
correlated.

What I meant was that the quality of the work done and shared by Steve
(or is
"Mr. Litt" preferred?) was not as high as I came to expect from similar
work
I've experienced done by (possibly more) skilled and/or talented
people.[1]

Hope that helps.

Regards,

  Shlomi Fish

[1] - I hope I don't sound too harsh, and if I do - I apologise. I don't
expect
people to immediately be able to produce high-quality artworks, and
Steve's car
artwork shows a lot of potential, and like I said, is well above what I
have
been able to do so far.

.
C9af522fc39d5de90f21119543c2b9ab?d=identicon&s=25 Steve Litt (Guest)
On Tue, 3 Sep 2013 01:40:01 +0300
Shlomi Fish <shlomif@shlomifish.org> wrote:

> What I meant was that the quality of the work done and shared by
> Steve (or is "Mr. Litt" preferred?)

Steve please. Mr. Litt is my dad.

Thanks,

SteveT

F91fc0a43611147f2a559db40bda9083?d=identicon&s=25 Shlomi Fish (Guest)
Hi Steve,

On Mon, 2 Sep 2013 21:55:06 -0400
Steve Litt <slitt@troubleshooters.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 3 Sep 2013 01:40:01 +0300
> Shlomi Fish <shlomif@shlomifish.org> wrote:
>
> > What I meant was that the quality of the work done and shared by
> > Steve (or is "Mr. Litt" preferred?)
>
> Steve please. Mr. Litt is my dad.

OK, fair enough. This is the second time someone told me that after I
called
him "Mr. $LastName". Maybe it's a cultural thing. There's an English
friend of
mine who calls me “Mr. Fish” when talking to me in instant messaging,
and I
don't mind that (and my father is still alive and kicking - touch
wood.), but I
am Israeli. See:

http://www.shlomifish.org/meta/FAQ/#refer_or_address

Regards,

  Shlomi Fish

I hope that you agree with me that 99.9218485921% of the users wouldn’t
bother
themselves with recompilation (or any other manual step for that matter)
make their games run 1.27127529900685765% faster ;-) — Nadav Har’El

.
Existing account

No account? Register here.