Forum: NGINX multiple nginx

6793bd68852505f9f40617fbafe10a99?d=identicon&s=25 Edwin Lee (Guest)

Is is alright to have two installations of nginx on the same machine?
I have a running instance of nginx with php installed from distribution
package manager.
Instead of writing another config, I would like to compile and install
nginx from source code and run as second instance.
The second instance is to optimize for load balancing, reverse proxy,
cache and modsecurity.

My concerns is would this break the system on debian squeeze?

Thanks for answering.

Edwin Lee
3b0c31b6c1e42a17b7ba324a339129e7?d=identicon&s=25 MCoder (Guest)
you could specify the configure file by -c option or even specify prefix
by
-p

and could compile anther nginx instance by --prefix configure option

2013/8/18 Edwin Lee <edwinlee@proxyy.biz>
671d9faabfe3d3382be736b93fbfa1d5?d=identicon&s=25 Steve Holdoway (Guest)
On Sun, 2013-08-18 at 16:08 +0800, Edwin Lee wrote:

> Edwin Lee

Yes, it's perfectly ok to do so. Make sure you're installing into a
separate location ( eg /usr/local ), and you'll need a separate startup
script.

You cannot share port/ip address pairs though.

hth,

Steve

--
Steve Holdoway BSc(Hons) MIITP