Forum: JRuby Curses

486ca04f06d968004643ce5b47376ded?d=identicon&s=25 Keith B. (keith_b)
All -

I'm using curses in a Ruby app to display a periodically updating full
screen text mode interface on an app running on servers without a
graphical
environment.

Curses is included in the standard distribution of MRI Ruby, but I just
tried my app for the first time in JRuby, and it dies when requiring
curses:

    LoadError: no such file to load -- curses

Is there a way for me to adapt JRuby to curses, which is, as I
understand
it, a C library?

Thanks,
Keith
C983ad33b47479f17a28e083e1bb3d8b?d=identicon&s=25 Eric West (edubkendo)
[JCurses, a java console windowing toolkit for Windows and Linux](
http://sourceforge.net/projects/javacurses/) was the first result in a
google search for `java curses`. There are probably others. Support for
C-Extensions was removed from JRuby1.7.3, I believe. The options that
come
to mind are to use a java lib that provides curses support like the one
I'm
linking, or attempt to use FFI to interact with the C library . I think
wrapping the java lib would be the easier task, personally.
5993756d2b69ce0bc16df3318c240d54?d=identicon&s=25 Wayne Meissner (Guest)
There is ffi-ncurses (http://rubygems.org/gems/ffi-ncurses), which
runs on both CRuby and JRuby.  Not sure how complete it is, but worth
a try.
Ef31027f8a39cb4b822094019a884849?d=identicon&s=25 Jean Lazarou (Guest)
I wrote a very basic curses library targeting Swing... it needs a lot of
improvements, it covers what I needed:
https://github.com/jeanlazarou/jruby_curses

It depends on the features you use.

-Jean

PS: I could improve it.

runs on both CRuby and JRuby. Not sure how complete it is, but worth
a try.
Existing account

No account? Register here.