Forum: Inkscape Make 2 paths from 1

7a056eb49d2897d78818fac21a6e4df3?d=identicon&s=25 Maurice van Peursem (Guest)

I hope my image comes through. I have a closed path, represented by
the rectangle. I want to connect points A and B to create 2 closed
paths, one around C and one around D without drawing the connection
between A and B twice. Can I achieve this in a simple way?

Thanks,
Maurice
9625234ca6ba67c5e03b0f84219141fc?d=identicon&s=25 Maarten van der Velde (Guest)
In addition to my previous answer (to personal mail, in Dutch) which
covered 'node operations', you could also just duplicate the object and
set the width of both the original and the duplicate to half of their
origanal widths. (scale horizontally by 50%). This requires no node
operations. :)

On Aug 10, 2013, at 2:09 AM, Maurice van Peursem wrote:

Hi,

I hope my image comes through. I have a closed path, represented by the
rectangle. I want to connect points A and B to create 2 closed paths,
one around C and one around D without drawing the connection between A
and B twice. Can I achieve this in a simple way?

Thanks,
Maurice<Inkscape-Paths.png>------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/clk?id=4889...
Inkscape-user mailing list
Inkscape-user@lists.sourceforge.net
827ca7ffe66d5c3013da1fe3ff7091a5?d=identicon&s=25 Robert Funnell (Guest)
Maurice-

You may want to look at the thread on making maps from last May:

http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?threa...

Unless things have changed, the answer is that for now it's better to
maintain maps with some other tool.

- Robert
7a056eb49d2897d78818fac21a6e4df3?d=identicon&s=25 Maurice van Peursem (Guest)
Thanks Robert,

That is the information I was looking for. Pity it is not really
possible to create these 'shared paths'. I'm not making a map btw,
only a simple drawing with a few differently colored regions, simple
enough you would think. But it seems if you want to change a border,
you have to edit that border twice, or find some above/under
configuration to hide an incorrect subpath.

Can Adobe Illustrator do this?

Thans again,
Maurice
7a056eb49d2897d78818fac21a6e4df3?d=identicon&s=25 Maurice van Peursem (Guest)
Thanks Alejandro,

I'm new to Inkscape, and this is indeed very
helpful. I have yet to learn how to use all the
path-modifying options. The only disadvantage is
that once separated, you get 2 border paths that
you will have to edit both is you want to change
the border later. But this is good start.

Maurice
827ca7ffe66d5c3013da1fe3ff7091a5?d=identicon&s=25 Robert Funnell (Guest)
Alejandro -

I had just discovered this trick from an Adobe Illustrator thread and
was trying it in Inkscape when I saw your message. When I select the
two nodes at the same time, my Inkscape doesn't display the selected
nodes in the usual way. Also, although I can simultaneously move the
nodes, I don't seem to be able to simultaneously manipulate their
handles. Is that normal? This is with 0.48 under Windows 7.

- Robert
4e7f110fb65f2d287b449e65f5053710?d=identicon&s=25 Alejandro Castillo (Guest)
El 10/08/13 14:30, Robert Funnell escribi:
> Alejandro -
>
> I had just discovered this trick from an Adobe Illustrator thread and
> was trying it in Inkscape when I saw your message. When I select the
> two nodes at the same time, my Inkscape doesn't display the selected
> nodes in the usual way. Also, although I can simultaneously move the
> nodes, I don't seem to be able to simultaneously manipulate their
> handles. Is that normal? This is with 0.48 under Windows 7.

is normal, i think you can't manipulate both handles with the mouse, but
i suppose you can do it with the keyboard. I have not been able to test
every combination of keys, because the Spanish keyboard layout is a
little different and some things require digital skills that I don't
have (and a couple of extra fingers xD) but for example, rotate, mirror,
move... i've tried and works.

this is the link to the node section of keyboard shorcuts:
http://inkscape.org/doc/keys048.html # d0e3233
On Sat, 10 Aug 2013, Alejandro Castillo wrote:

> is normal, i think you can't manipulate both handles with the mouse, but
> i suppose you can do it with the keyboard. I have not been able to test
> every combination of keys, because the Spanish keyboard layout is a
> little different and some things require digital skills that I don't
> have (and a couple of extra fingers xD) but for example, rotate, mirror,
> move... i've tried and works.
>
> this is the link to the node section of keyboard shorcuts:
> http://inkscape.org/doc/keys048.html # d0e3233

Thanks for the pointer to those instructions.

FWIW, I've added something about this to my personal notes at
http://audilab.bme.mcgill.ca/~funnell/swil_inkscap...
Can anyone confirm my observation that the keystrokes to rotate a
handle work but that the keystrokes to scale a handle do not work? The
instructions for the keystrokes pointed to by Alejandro specify '(1
node selected)' in both cases so really neither of them should work.

- Robert
On Sun, 11 Aug 2013, Robert Funnell wrote:

>> >  handles. Is that normal? This is with 0.48 under Windows 7.
>
> Thanks for the pointer to those instructions.
>
> FWIW, I've added something about this to my personal notes at
> http://audilab.bme.mcgill.ca/~funnell/swil_inkscap... Can
> anyone confirm my observation that the keystrokes to rotate a handle work but
> that the keystrokes to scale a handle do not work? The instructions for the
> keystrokes pointed to by Alejandro specify '(1 node selected)' in both cases
> so really neither of them should work.
>
> - Robert

I just noticed that, although the headings on the keys048.html page
say 'Scale handle (1 node selected)' and 'Rotate handle (1 node
selected)', the fine print says 'May apply to more than one node' for
both. I don't know what that is supposed to mean. In both cases,
Tavmjong Bah's manual says 'These items only apply when one node is
selected'.
Existing account

No account? Register here.