Forum: GNU Radio gqrx in MacPorts

781e96b7bd64e8833d71e3914cb1594a?d=identicon&s=25 Michael Dickens (Guest)
I just pushed (r109181 < https://trac.macports.org/changeset/109181 >)
the MacPorts portfile & patches for gqrx (Gqrx.app); it should be live
by around 10:30 AM/US/ET today (Friday, August 9).  Please note
Alexandru's posting this morning on the audio issue; I have not
addressed it in this Portfile, but I believe if the portaudio port is
installed it will be found and made available for audio output.  I will
work on fixing the OSX native audio in the next month.  As always, if
you have issues with this port, the GNU Radio port, or any other
MacPorts related issue, please feel free to contact me off-list. - MLD
68e4cb2871861bbe64d2eb3d42ca298e?d=identicon&s=25 Alexandru Csete (Guest)
On Fri, Aug 9, 2013 at 3:59 PM, Michael Dickens <mlk@alum.mit.edu>
wrote:

> I just pushed (r109181 < https://trac.macports.org/changeset/109181 >) the
> MacPorts portfile & patches for gqrx (Gqrx.app); it should be live by around
> 10:30 AM/US/ET today (Friday, August 9).  Please note Alexandru's posting
> this morning on the audio issue; I have not addressed it in this Portfile,
> but I believe if the portaudio port is installed it will be found and made
> available for audio output.  I will work on fixing the OSX native audio in
> the next month.  As always, if you have issues with this port, the GNU Radio
> port, or any other MacPorts related issue, please feel free to contact me
> off-list. - MLD

Hi Michael,

That's good news, thanks.
Regarding using portaudio in gqrx, there is no detection and you need
to include AUDIO_BACKEND=portaudio when running qmake to enable it. Or
insert it in the gqrx.pro file. I don't remember if portaudio was
optional for gnuradio or it just got installed. It was just a quick
hack and I'll try to improve but it is limited how much auto detection
I can do with qmake. I guess I'll just have to do the cmake-thing...

Alex
781e96b7bd64e8833d71e3914cb1594a?d=identicon&s=25 Michael Dickens (Guest)
Hi Alex - In MacPorts (currently), one can install any of the GNU Radio
ports with PortAudio using the +portaudio or +full variants.  Neither is
the default.  If GNU Radio is installed with the PortAudio option, can
gqrx make use of it?  Or, does gqrx have to be configured (and built)
using AUDIO_BACKEND=portaudio?  Seems like gqrx might be able to select
the audio interface at boot time from those available, maybe even tell
gnuradio-audio which interface to use?  Just trying to think outside the
box ... - MLD
68e4cb2871861bbe64d2eb3d42ca298e?d=identicon&s=25 Alexandru Csete (Guest)
Hi Michael,

I wasn't very clear in my original explanation so let me try again.

If you build gqrx using:

$ qmake
$ make

Then gqrx will be built without any portaudio specific code. It will
use gr-audio for both audio input and output, whcih in turn will use
the native OS X backend unless the user configures gnuadio to use
something else. This will work just fine except that input source is
broken so no funcube dongle support and gqrx will not be able to
enumerate the available audio devices (gr-audio does not have such
API).

If you build gqrx using:

$ qmake AUDIO_BACKEND=portaudio
$ make

then gqrx will use portaudio specific code meaning:
- It will set the GR_CONF_AUDIO_AUDIO_MODULE environment setting to
portaudio so that gnuradio will use the portaudio backend regardless
of what the user has configured (I assumed that 99% of gqrx on the Mac
users have no idea that they can configure gnuradio via
~/.gnuradio/config.conf)
- It will use portaudio API functions to enumerate the avaialble audio
devices and present that to the user. This is used for both input
devices and output devices.

Because of the last point portaudio is a build time option in gqrx.

Alex
781e96b7bd64e8833d71e3914cb1594a?d=identicon&s=25 Michael Dickens (Guest)
Hi Alex - OK; that all makes sense.  Thanks for the clarification.  Next
gqrx update I'll add in a variant for +portaudio.  And, I'll hopefully
get the OSX native audio fixed up in the next couple of weeks.  In the
meantime, if anyone is using gqrx on OSX (via MacPorts or otherwise),
I'd love to hear if/how it works for you, both display and audio.  Has
anyone used it with a HackRF Jawbreaker? - MLD
Existing account

No account? Register here.