Forum: Ruby on Rails File transfer via SOAP

9aedca736ea2277b591ee4962658caea?d=identicon&s=25 "Евгений Куртов" <me@lessless.pp.ua> (Guest)
Hello! Can't find any related data on the subject: how to receive a file
via SOAP. If anyone have accomplished such a task I'll be very greatful
for
any help and info.
Thanks.
"Евгений Куртов" <me@lessless.pp.ua> wrote in post #1117771:
> Hello! Can't find any related data on the subject: how to receive a file
> via SOAP. If anyone have accomplished such a task I'll be very greatful
> for
> any help and info.
> Thanks.

SOAP is actually not a great transport layer for large files. SOAP is an
XML based protocol, which essentially is just a structured text file.

If you really must use SOAP to transfer large files then you'll need to
use something like Base64 encoding and embed the file in an XML tag.

Here's a basic example:
<soap:Envelope
 xmlns:soap="http://www.w3.org/2003/05/soap-envelope"
 <soap:Body>
 <submitClaim>
  <accountNumber>5XJ45-3B2</accountNumber>
  <eventType>accident</eventType>
  <image imageType="jpg" xsi:type="base64binary">
   4f3e9b0...(rest of encoded image)
  </image>
 </submitClaim>
 </soap:Body>
</soap:Envelope>

Notice the xsi:type="base64binary". In this example they are encoding
the JPEG binary data as base64 ASCII text.
Existing account

No account? Register here.