Forum: Ruby on Rails Lat/Lng boudaries for each reverse geocoded address for google

274892a7240efb459570e3e9d122607f?d=identicon&s=25 Ajit Teli (ajitteli)

  I would like to get the lat/long boundaries for each reverse Geo-coded
address. For example,

Lat: 14.32826, Lng: 77.643127 pair gives reverse Geo-coded address as
"Kanyakumari Road, Andhra Pradesh 515101, India". There will be list of
other lat/long pairs which will produce same reverse Geo-coded address
as above. And I assume that for each reverse Geo-coded address there
will be lat/long boundary.

  So, please let me know how can I get lat/long boundaryies for a pair
of lat/long which will produce same reverse Geo-coded address.

Thank You
Ajit
Ajit Teli wrote in post #1117253:
> Hi,
>
>   I would like to get the lat/long boundaries for each reverse Geo-coded
> address. For example,
>
> Lat: 14.32826, Lng: 77.643127 pair gives reverse Geo-coded address as
> "Kanyakumari Road, Andhra Pradesh 515101, India". There will be list of
> other lat/long pairs which will produce same reverse Geo-coded address
> as above. And I assume that for each reverse Geo-coded address there
> will be lat/long boundary.

Why would you assume this? Latitude and longitude describe a precise
point (within the tolerance provided by the system). Addresses
(especially as defined by the Google Maps API) are imprecise. For
example "Georgia" is a valid address, as defined by Google Maps. It is
also an ambiguous address. Does it mean the United States state of
Georgia or the country in Asia? The API provides for region biasing to
disambiguate such addresses.

It would be impractical to provide a list of all Lat/Lon pairs for an
address. Theoretically that would be an infinitely long list. That is
like asking to list every point inside a rectangle. That would also
result in an infinitely long list.

Reverse geocoding a point into an address is a lot more "fuzzy." Google
Maps attempts to provide reasonable results by retuning the "best"
address for a given point, along with other addresses within the region
surrounding the given point. Unlike geo-points, addresses are finite.
There are only a limited number of them within any given region.

>   So, please let me know how can I get lat/long boundaryies for a pair
> of lat/long which will produce same reverse Geo-coded address.

Taking a quick look at the Google Maps API I didn't see anything that
would directly give you what you want. As I described above I don't even
think this makes sense.
Google for "geocode services"
Existing account

No account? Register here.