Forum: Ruby on Rails Is it possible to run Ruby and Rails off of local folder without installing them first on Mac OS X?

0c9e156fbb68ab8c332ae09f4dc2d773?d=identicon&s=25 JL (Guest)
Is it possible to run Ruby and Rails on Mac OS X off of a local folder
(without local or system install using RVM, Homebrew, etc.)

Similar to the way one can copy/paste Java installation directory and
just
run off of it with no dependencies, I'd like to do the same with
Ruby/Rails.

The goal is to be able to connect a USB drive to someone's Mac OS X,
open
terminal, and demo an application (execute "rails server" from the
mounted
USB drive) without having to install/compile anything.

Possible?
Bdf1f2ad97e7b9c9db1fa70e3cef48bf?d=identicon&s=25 bacrossland (Guest)
On Saturday, July 27, 2013 1:51:30 PM UTC-5, JL wrote:

> Possible?

Yes it is possible. It will take some work though since you don't know
what
environment you will be plugging that USB drive into. I would suggest
starting with this thread from Stack Overflow.
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/452175/is-there...