Forum: NGINX Update nginx with Ubuntu PPA

286aad049402973eec17404e3ac1b758?d=identicon&s=25 howard chen (Guest)
I am upgrading nginx to latest 1.4.1 using PPA. repository.

1. After install, do I need to restart it manually, or it is restarted
automatically?
2. Is reload enough for the nginx upgrade? Or do I need to restart or
stop/start?

Thanks.
7bf5586e8fe2b84da527e98f2d7dffce?d=identicon&s=25 Paul N. Pace (Guest)
On Mon, Jul 22, 2013 at 10:13 AM, howard chen <howachen@gmail.com>
wrote:
> I am upgrading nginx to latest 1.4.1 using PPA. repository.
>
> 1. After install, do I need to restart it manually, or it is restarted
> automatically?
> 2. Is reload enough for the nginx upgrade? Or do I need to restart or
> stop/start?

If you are using the apt-get upgrade or aptitude upgrade commands, the
service will be restarted for you.

You may want to run sudo nginx -t to check for errors.
2974d09ac2541e892966b762aad84943?d=identicon&s=25 JackB (Guest)
openletter Wrote:
> If you are using the apt-get upgrade or aptitude upgrade commands, the
> service will be restarted for you.

This might be a little off topic, but how can one upgrade nginx on
ubuntu
with the official ppa via apt without having a restart of nginx but an
upgrade instead?  (/etc/init.d/nginx upgrade)

Posted at Nginx Forum:
28802c1455ba9b8b14838c2934410448?d=identicon&s=25 Axel (Guest)
You can download and extract the package and replace all files.
But you will have to load the new binary at one time.

I might be wrong - but I suppose you can do that gracefully

Regards, Axl

Am Dienstag, 23. Juli 2013, 04:24:38 schrieb JackB:

> This might be a little off topic, but how can one upgrade nginx on
ubuntu
40b4c848b8fcd63b0cb60b9d170c3a77?d=identicon&s=25 Valentin V. Bartenev (Guest)
On Tuesday 23 July 2013 12:24:38 JackB wrote:
> openletter Wrote:
>
> > If you are using the apt-get upgrade or aptitude upgrade commands, the
> > service will be restarted for you.
>
> This might be a little off topic, but how can one upgrade nginx on ubuntu
> with the official ppa via apt without having a restart of nginx but an
> upgrade instead?  (/etc/init.d/nginx upgrade)

Please note, there is no "official ppa".

Official nginx repositories for Ubuntu (and other Linux ditros) are
here:
http://nginx.org/en/linux_packages.html

  wbr, Valentin V. Bartenev

--
http://nginx.org/en/donation.html
7bf5586e8fe2b84da527e98f2d7dffce?d=identicon&s=25 Paul N. Pace (Guest)

> Please note, there is no "official ppa".
>
> Official nginx repositories for Ubuntu (and other Linux ditros) are here:
> http://nginx.org/en/linux_packages.html
>
>   wbr, Valentin V. Bartenev

Yes, there is no official PPA.

The PPA I and many others use is unofficial, but seems to be well
maintained (thanks for that, whoever you are).

Someone wanting to use the same unofficial repository may execute the
following:

add-apt-repository ppa:nginx/stable
apt-get update
apt-get install nginx

If you want to use the devel version, then replace ppa:nginx/stable
with ppa:nginx/development

If you don't have add-apt-repository, then apt-get install
python-software-properties.
Valentin V. Bartenev Wrote:
> > This might be a little off topic, but how can one upgrade nginx on
ubuntu
> > with the official ppa via apt without having a restart of nginx but an
> > upgrade instead?  (/etc/init.d/nginx upgrade)

> Please note, there is no "official ppa".
>
> Official nginx repositories for Ubuntu (and other Linux ditros) are
> here:
> http://nginx.org/en/linux_packages.html

Oh, I meant your repositories but named it ppa. Sorry for that.

Will there be a way of having an upgrade instead of an automatic restart
in
case of binary/package updates in the future?

Posted at Nginx Forum:
25c5f9ec1f3bd6b8a421f3022863508f?d=identicon&s=25 Sergey Budnevitch (Guest)
On 26  Jul2013, at 08:34 , JackB <nginx-forum@nginx.us> wrote:

>> http://nginx.org/en/linux_packages.html
>
> Oh, I meant your repositories but named it ppa. Sorry for that.
>
> Will there be a way of having an upgrade instead of an automatic restart in
> case of binary/package updates in the future?

Our package already calls '/etc/init.d/nginx upgrade' on update
Existing account

No account? Register here.