Forum: Inkscape Inkscape Website: Translation Instructions

7f6f9e75239bfcc5bfb41014e9dc9a26?d=identicon&s=25 Martin Owens (Guest)
Hey Devs and Users,

I've updated the wiki explaining the new Inkscape website's translation
instructions. New translations have accidentally overwritten the English
content in some places (especially the front page) so to avoid this I've
put together a brief explanation of why the front page is hard to edit.

http://wiki.inkscape.org/wiki/index.php/WebSite#Translations

Please do copy plugins into your local language instead of editing the
English versions. All editors are reminded that each language can have
different plugins for the same content-location if they wish.

Website: http://staging.inkscape.org

If you don't have an account and would like to help get content ready,
login and send me an email so I can enable staff privileges for you and
have you editing the CMS.

Happy Editing, Martin Owens
7f6f9e75239bfcc5bfb41014e9dc9a26?d=identicon&s=25 Martin Owens (Guest)
Sorry about the http:500 for the past day, I did an update to the
software and didn't have access to the logs to fix it until today.

http://staging.inkscape.org is back online and waiting for your
contributions. The news section is now language aware and will display
localised news if available. Let me know if you can't access the news
admin interface if you need to translate a new story for your locale.

Best Regards, Martin Owens
E199b3dd0b790de76237aaa33cf41f7f?d=identicon&s=25 Dongjun Wu (Guest)

There is a suggestion we had like to feedback to the Inkscape web
developers. the Chinese Simplified using 'zh' as the lang code will lead
the users from Taiwan visit inkscape website shown in Chinese Simplified
directly. We prefer keeping the web in English if no zh-tw translation.

And could you add the Chinese Traditional (正體中文, zh-tw) tag?
I will help translate it.

By the way, the zh-tw flag is this: http://i.imgur.com/nDCF0z1.png

2013/7/18 Martin Owens <doctormo@gmail.com>

> On Tue, 2013-07-16 at 20:01 -0400, Martin Owens wrote:
> > English versions. All editors are reminded that each language can have
>
> Inkscape-user@lists.sourceforge.net

Regards,

Dong-Jun Wu
On Sun, 2013-07-21 at 23:07 +0800, Dongjun Wu wrote:
> And could you add the Chinese Traditional (正體中文, zh-tw) tag?
> I will help translate it.

I have added it, although I only have the canton flag for now. Will this
do or would you prefer the Taiwan flag?

Martin,
E199b3dd0b790de76237aaa33cf41f7f?d=identicon&s=25 Dongjun Wu (Guest)
Thank you.
The Taiwan flasg is better. The canton flag means Hong Kong (zh-hk).

The Chinese Simplified should be 'zh-cn' instead zh. The priority of zh
is
higher than other zh-xx. It's a trouble for users from Taiwan (we
don't use Chinese
Simplified).
Debain.org is a good reference for this.

2013/7/22 Martin Owens <doctormo@gmail.com>

--
Regards,

Dong-Jun Wu
Dc78f2b99ad0194cd916766a39490e59?d=identicon&s=25 darkweasel (Guest)
Am 2013-07-21 22:05, schrieb Dongjun Wu:
> Thank you.
> The Taiwan flasg is better. The canton flag means Hong Kong (zh-hk).

In fact, I think flags should not be used to represent languages at all
because most languages are also spoken natively by people who don't
associate with some particular flags. English is itself an example; the
flag of England is now used for it, but most English speakers probably
don't associate with that flag. Austrian and Swiss German speakers don't
associate with a German flag. And so on. I suggest that either full
names or ISO codes be used there.
F812b5469f097cef62a67a629c465962?d=identicon&s=25 Arlo Barnes (arlo_b)
Darkweasel, flagsarenotlanguages.com (and
others<http://www.btitze.net/flags_vs_languages.html>)
would agree with you.
A nice compromise would be flags just for languages; many conlangs (like
Esperanto) have them. The problem would be recognition, but you could
use
something intuitive. Like a standard sample of Hangul for Korean (of
course, your suggestion to use names could accommodate this too).
Anyway, there is already misuse of terms: for instance, "English"
suggests
the language of the Angles <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angles>, but
many
other peoples use it now, as you said.