Forum: Inkscape About selecting objects

8f6337c8c7a1cf04dab80ae3a8c40150?d=identicon&s=25 Javier Garcia (Guest)

I have an object inside another one. When I click the inner object I
always select the outer object? What can I do to select the inner object
when I click on it?

0.48

Javi
Dc78f2b99ad0194cd916766a39490e59?d=identicon&s=25 darkweasel (Guest)
Am 2013-07-16 14:04, schrieb Javier Garcia:
> Hi,
>
> I have an object inside another one. When I click the inner object I
> always select the outer object? What can I do to select the inner object
> when I click on it?
>
> 0.48
>
> Javi

Try alt-click.
7f6f9e75239bfcc5bfb41014e9dc9a26?d=identicon&s=25 Martin Owens (Guest)
On Tue, 2013-07-16 at 14:07 +0200, darkweasel wrote:
> Try alt-click.

It's Ctrl-click, although Alt doesn't do anything but move the window in
Xorg, I wonder if that's by design.

Martin,
Aefd46e73e6b7449c5ce1ce0156797d2?d=identicon&s=25 su_v (Guest)
On 2013-07-16 15:31 +0100, Martin Owens wrote:
> On Tue, 2013-07-16 at 14:07 +0200, darkweasel wrote:
>> Try alt-click.
>
> It's Ctrl-click, although Alt doesn't do anything but move the window in
> Xorg, I wonder if that's by design.

'Ctrl' or 'Alt' - depends on the structure of the object(s) to be
selected (each of them enables a different type of selection).

- 'Ctrl+click' selects object within group
- 'Alt+click'  selects under

@Javier - you'd have to be more specific about what

> I have an object inside another one.

refers to, or attach a sample SVG file.

For more details, please see also the manual:
<http://tavmjong.free.fr/INKSCAPE/MANUAL/html/Selec...
<http://tavmjong.free.fr/INKSCAPE/MANUAL/html/Groups.html>

@Martin:
<http://wiki.inkscape.org/wiki/index.php/FAQ#How_ca...

(alternatively, you could try using 'Ctrl+Alt+click' instead of
'Alt+click' to select under:
<http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.graphics.inksca...)
C8c7c0354ccd194fe57e45c8720b78a1?d=identicon&s=25 Mark Crutch (Guest)
It's definitely Alt-click on the (old, Gnome 2) Ubuntu box I've got
here.

Alt-drag has been used for as many years as I can remember in the Linux
world for dragging windows, which can cause it to clash with Inkscape's
use
of Alt. My usual advice is to disable it in your window manager's
keybindings (which will generally disable it for all applications), or
hold
down the Super (Windows) key first, then hold Alt, then click or drag
(so
it becomes Super-Alt-click). On most window managers the latter approach
is
sufficient for it to not interpret it as an Alt-click for moving the
window.

FWIW, the Alt-drag feature of Linux can be a godsend when you're forced
into a low-resolution screen for some reason and have to deal with
dialogues that are too big to fit.

Mark
On 07/16/2013 04:07 PM, su_v wrote:
> @Javier - you'd have to be more specific about what
>
>> >I have an object inside another one.
I had a text inside a box. You gave the key: the text actually was
*under* the box. Since the box was using a transparent fill, it seemed
it was above the box.

Thanks

Javi
57caf4231f0a1fb65e5ff67aba784542?d=identicon&s=25 Chris Tooley (Guest)
> My usual advice is to disable it in your window manager's keybindings
(which will generally disable it for all applications)

*gasp* This is the single most useful feature I've ever had the
misfortune
of losing by going to mac or windows. How dare you, sir!

w.r.t. the topic: Isn't there a way to modify the keyboard bindings in
Inkscape...?
On Tue, Jul 16, 2013 at 5:22 PM, Chris Tooley <euxneks@gmail.com> wrote:

> > My usual advice is to disable it in your window manager's keybindings
> (which will generally disable it for all applications)
>
> *gasp* This is the single most useful feature I've ever had the misfortune
> of losing by going to mac or windows. How dare you, sir!

Way to quote me out of context! I went on to offer an alternative of
holding the Super key with Alt (which is the method I use) and also to
say
"FWIW, the Alt-drag feature of Linux can be a godsend...".

> w.r.t. the topic: Isn't there a way to modify the keyboard bindings in
> Inkscape...?

The FAQ that suv linked to mentions that.

Mark
C9af522fc39d5de90f21119543c2b9ab?d=identicon&s=25 Steve Litt (Guest)
On Tue, 16 Jul 2013 14:04:45 +0200
Javier Garcia <tirengarfio@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have an object inside another one. When I click the inner object I
> always select the outer object? What can I do to select the inner
> object when I click on it?
>
> 0.48
>
> Javi

Hi Javi,

What I've always done is to start in outside of both objects, in the
upper right of the inner object, then drag until the rubberband
surrounds the inside object, but not the outside one. It sounds like a
PITA, but you get used to it.

SteveT

C8c7c0354ccd194fe57e45c8720b78a1?d=identicon&s=25 Mark Crutch (Guest)
On the subject of rubber band approaches to the poblem: if you hold
SHIFT
while dragging a rubber band around just the inside object you can even
have your rubber band starting on the outer object. Holding SHIFT stops
the
"click and drag" of the rubber band movement from being interpreted as a
"select and move" operation. You can release the SHIFT key as soon as
you've started dragging, if you want - it only has an effect on the
initial
click.

Mark
Existing account