Forum: Inkscape On Canvas Align: Video Demo

7f6f9e75239bfcc5bfb41014e9dc9a26?d=identicon&s=25 Martin Owens (Guest)
Hey Devs,

I've got a new feature (uncommitted) to show:

http://blip.tv/martin-owens/on-canvas-alignment-fe...

I'd like to know what you think and your feedback could be key to
deciding where my new handles would fit with people's workflows.

Excited, Martin Owens
9625234ca6ba67c5e03b0f84219141fc?d=identicon&s=25 Maarten van der Velde (Guest)
Powerfull and intuitive! Great idea.
C8c7c0354ccd194fe57e45c8720b78a1?d=identicon&s=25 Mark Crutch (Guest)
It looks great to me. Two things (apologies if these were covered in the
video - I've got no audio here, so can only go on the visuals I saw):

1) I think it needs a toggle on the toolbar to show/hide the handles.
Particularly when dealing with small objects I could see them getting in
the way.

2) Will this work for nodes as well as objects? If so, the suggestion
above
applies doubly! If not... that would be a great addition for the future
;)

Cheers,

Mark
56ec01a5220915dd463db71ba225796a?d=identicon&s=25 Jurgen Gaeremyn (Guest)
Great feature indeed!
I'd also suggest for them to be enabled with a key (Alt-Gr seems like a
cool one).

Just a suggestion about the draggeable align reference. It would be
handy if that could snap to borders or centers of objects that cross
it's path (or that they respect the snap-to options enabled, could also
be snap-to-grid)

Grtz,
Jurgen.
33a0818cf14f6003a8b3197dd902c21c?d=identicon&s=25 Josh Andler (Guest)
I tested it a bit. I think it feels odd that with your desire to avoid
opening the Align & Distribute dialog that the controls obey the
"Relative to" selection there (such as if you choose Page). I would
think it should align as if "Selection" was chosen there and then
maybe make use of modifiers keys to allow to align to page and such.
Otherwise, the control placement is odd imho but I don't have
recommendations to improve it that don't involve putting them outside
the resize handles.

Also, for anyone that has trunk checked out, you can just apply the
diff from here:
http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~doctormo/inkscape/ali...
as opposed to checking out another copy.

Cheers,
Josh
On Mon, 2013-07-08 at 12:31 -0700, Josh Andler wrote:
> I tested it a bit. I think it feels odd that with your desire to avoid
> opening the Align & Distribute dialog that the controls obey the
> "Relative to" selection there (such as if you choose Page). I would
> think it should align as if "Selection" was chosen there and then
> maybe make use of modifiers keys to allow to align to page and such.
> Otherwise, the control placement is odd imho but I don't have
> recommendations to improve it that don't involve putting them outside
> the resize handles.

That's certainly the way I'd changed the code. The align-distribute code
is a bit of a haystack, though I thought I'd forced the target to
SELECTION when it aligns. Perhaps it obeys those options for the click
option, certainly considered a bug.

Some good ideas. The actual appearance is perhaps the most critical
part. I was thinking of an align selector hand, basically it would act
just like the normal hand tool but with different nodes, One align mode
one distribute mode. thoughts?

There's been a few requests for snapping too, but trying to work out how
the snapping manager works so I can snap the drag point. The other
handle operations do quite a complex dance with the snapping manager and
it can't be as complex IMO.

Martin,
732882750432021d33075abb057557d5?d=identicon&s=25 Diederik van Lierop (Guest)
Hi Martin,

Haven't yet been able to look at your work, but if you need help with
implementing the snapping then just let me know!

Diederik
On Mon, 2013-07-08 at 23:02 +0200, Diederik van Lierop wrote:
> Hi Martin,
>
> Haven't yet been able to look at your work, but if you need help with
> implementing the snapping then just let me know!

I need help implementing snapping. :-) I'm on IRC as doctormon if you
want to guide me through.

Martin,
56535f9b706b64b9c4b780c79a2c6e20?d=identicon&s=25 John Fisher (Guest)
+1 for me!

On 07/08/2013 12:50 PM, Martin Owens wrote:

--
John Fisher
Znyx Networks

Depending on the way people use inkscape, they might want to select a
different way of working.
I'm usually not a fan of ever more features though thisone is so nicely
thought trough and implemented. It's self explaining and intuitive.
No learning curve, that's how it should be with many mote apps.
352dad7f68ab2a8af9b69f75997aee11?d=identicon&s=25 Lars Behrens (Guest)
Am 10.07.2013 14:09, schrieb ||  ||  :
> I'd say make 'alignmetnt tool' (in the left pane) and let the user choose with
> thickbox/radio button how they want it to behave.
>
> Depending on the way people use inkscape, they might want to select a different
> way of working.

+1

--
Cheerz Lars
C9e1f0f1b357da63a8506d845ac7bbb4?d=identicon&s=25 Edson Pfutzenreuter (Guest)

______
Prof. Edson P.Pfutzenreuter - http://edsonreuter.wordpress.com
Coordenador do Curso de Artes Visuais  - Instituto de Artes - UNICAMP
Coordenao - Blog: www.iar.unicamp.br/blog_av
<http://www.iar.unicamp.br/blog_av>                      Twitter:
@coord_av
 <http://www.iar.unicamp.br/blog_av>