Forum: Ruby on Rails I'm feeling stupid -- about getting MySQL to start up

C65c9097d00738c9a0e26bf84c746c96?d=identicon&s=25 Kirk Keeter (Guest)
Fellows (and ladies),

Am new to the RoR group here on google.

I installed MySQL using the Brew Install bundler, and now I'm having
difficulty getting MySQL to automatically launch at startup.

I'm on a Mac -- with 10.8 (Mountain Lion),

I've tried installing the startup prefs into the Control Panel, and
that's
not working.

I've also searched the web pretty diligently, and can't find a solution.

Suggestions?

Kirk
Kirk Keeter wrote in post #1111621:
> Fellows (and ladies),
>
> Am new to the RoR group here on google.
>
> I installed MySQL using the Brew Install bundler, and now I'm having
> difficulty getting MySQL to automatically launch at startup.
>
> I'm on a Mac -- with 10.8 (Mountain Lion),
>
> I've tried installing the startup prefs into the Control Panel, and
> that's
> not working.
>
> I've also searched the web pretty diligently, and can't find a solution.

Did you read the post install instructions after installing with
Homebrew?

To connect:
    mysql -uroot

To have launchd start mysql at login:
    ln -sfv /usr/local/opt/mysql/*.plist ~/Library/LaunchAgents
Then to load mysql now:
    launchctl load ~/Library/LaunchAgents/homebrew.mxcl.mysql.plist
Or, if you don't want/need launchctl, you can just run:
    mysql.server start
705f0372d40517ddafaf9d3ae5125ce2?d=identicon&s=25 Benjamin Iandavid Rodriguez (Guest)
you can also try:

$ brew info mysql

to list all the required steps to start mysql, alternatively you can run
brew doctor to see if your system requires additional configuration, for
instance if your path has /local/bin before /usr/local/bin it might be
posible that you are using the mysql instance installed by Mac OSX
instead
of the Home Brew installed one.

2013/6/7 Robert Walker <lists@ruby-forum.com>
006ef14fba8fadd40053ecda5039deb2?d=identicon&s=25 Alberto Grespan (Guest)
try typing:

$ brew info mysql

this is some of the info that shows up.

"To connect:
    mysql -uroot

To have launchd start mysql at login:
    ln -sfv /usr/local/opt/mysql/*.plist ~/Library/LaunchAgents
Then to load mysql now:
    launchctl load ~/Library/LaunchAgents/homebrew.mxcl.mysql.plist
Or, if you don't want/need launchctl, you can just run:
    mysql.server start"
Existing account

No account? Register here.